Please login or register. August 23, 2019, 08:03:42 PM

Author Topic: 3D from EasyDCP files?  (Read 4753 times)

ottoapiu

• View Profile
3D from EasyDCP files?
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:53 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if I can encode left and right tracks in EasyDCP (not EasyDCP+) as if it were two 2D films and then reuse the two j2c tracks in OpenDCP, to wrap everything up as a 3D movie? It should work, after all... What do you guys think? This way I could benefit of the great encoding speed of easydcp, and can use opendcp just to create the 3d content...  What could be the correct way to do it?

L.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3D from EasyDCP files?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
You will have to obey data rate constraints in the creation of your 2 monoscopic source MXF's. Then extract and re-wrap to stereoscopic MXF. You cannot use the 2 monoscopic containers directly.

ottoapiu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Hi Wolfgang,
thank you for your help.
This is how I'd do it:
- encode two separate mxf at half datarate (125 Mbit instead of 250) at 24fps (as original source, of course).
- unwrap them to j2c into separate folders
- use opendcp to wrap them up again

Do you think 125mbit is ok as a datarate?

Luc

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if I can encode left and right tracks in EasyDCP (not EasyDCP+) as if it were two 2D films and then reuse the two j2c tracks in OpenDCP, to wrap everything up as a 3D movie? It should work, after all... What do you guys think? This way I could benefit of the great encoding speed of easydcp, and can use opendcp just to create the 3d content...  What could be the correct way to do it?

L.
Once you have the jpeg2000 files, it would work. However, the images will be watermarked with EasyDCP's logo, unless you have a registered copy of EasyDCP.

ottoapiu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
Hi Terrence,
that would not be a problem, since I have a registered copy of easydcp.

The real problem is this time I will not be able to test the dcp before delivering so I must be sure everything's ok :)

Thanks as always for your work,
Luc

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Do you think 125mbit is ok as a datarate?
I keep remembering Simon Burley's account of a Doremi media block firmware problem preceding v21.1Z. Those machines would choke and die over stereoscopic streams which used max data rate. Never ran into it myself. Don't know how many media blocks out there would exhibit the issue. But ever since Simon shared the story I've had a 3% safety padding in stereoscopic packages.

ottoapiu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
Thank you Wofgang!

But ever since Simon shared the story I've had a 3% safety padding in stereoscopic packages.

Well, then I'll encode two separate streams each at 120 Mbit, right? I've worked a lot with Doremi servers, but never ran into any problem. I'm usually encoding 2D content, though. But we do service a lot of different servers (as cinema technicians), and overall the Doremis are the most comfortable to work with.

Anything else I should take care of?

L.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »