Please login or register. January 24, 2019, 02:09:01 AM

Author Topic: Camcorder capable of 1080/60p  (Read 5700 times)

jonathanj

• View Profile
Camcorder capable of 1080/60p
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
Hi guys'n gals.

I've been wanting to buy a prosumer or consumer cam w/(semi)pro features for some time now. But I have one thing I need the cam to do, and that is full HD 1920x1080 in 60 progressive frames/sec.
Note: It's purely for my personal indie hobby projects (still just sketches) :)

All the DSLR's i've looked at can't do 60p in higher resolution than 1280x720.

Then I came across the Panasonic HDC-TM700 that does exactly that and still costs less than 1000$.
Only the NTSC version of the cam does 60p though... the PAL version only does 50p.... I wonder why they don't just make a cam that does both and stop the whole PAL/NTSC since it's irrelevant when shooting HD imho.

So does anyone here know another cam capable of 60p in full HD for less or around the 1000$ price?  I guess 60p is possible in up'n coming DSLR's from Canon at some point, but I'm not sure i dig the pricetag.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Camcorder capable of 1080/60p
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
Jonathan,

I've used a Panasonic HDC SD300 -- Same family and, quite likely, same class of problems: Too little data from a tiny sensor package and lenses that barely make it. Those lenses don't have real irises but gradually shift in ND (hence the harsh diamond-shaped bokeh in the case of the SD300). Also those cams resolve nowhere near to what one would expect from full HD (Codec data rate and lens). None of the cameras in that price-range do. Completely forget low-light situations, too. I'll omit dynamic range, don't want to sound all that negative :)

Material from those cams or native DSLR output may look nice on a monitor but it will die on the big screen. Anyone who tells a different story video'ed a blurry blob with a small blob in front. Codecs love that class of shots.

Lots of people talk about the GoPro's. Doesn't mean they don't suck just as well on a big screen.

All that said, it is amazing that one can get somewhat useable images out of those tiny camera packages in the first place. Probably the right tool for what you want to do (sketches, scouting?). Just don't expect the images to hold up well on the big screen.

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
Wolfgang

Thanks for your input, though I think you misunderstood me a bit with regards to my projects.
With sketches I simply meant that I am only starting to "sketch" up/write up an idea for a story.... I'm not going to shoot any sketches :)
I have some ideas for documentary/fiction style stories and many would be in night/low light situations, so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a decent low light cam. Any recommendations? (again... this is on a pure hobby/indie basis).
The GoPros is fully automatic, so they are out of the question. Though they could be interesting for situations where extreme mobility is key.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
Low light or low price, pick one. As of today, 2011, it is, alas, that simple. But then again, define low. Personally I'm anticipating Red's Scarlet line of cameras. If those cameras will deliver what we've learned about them so far I'd regard their price tag "low".

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »