Please login or register. March 23, 2019, 05:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Useful as a compliance test tool? Fraunhofer's easyDCP Player+  (Read 11809 times)

neil richards

Good points Wolfgang. In the absence of a conformance test tool the only way I can validate at the moment is to play the package using EasyDCPPlayer - how much confidence should I have in this?

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Useful as a compliance test tool? Fraunhofer's easyDCP Player+
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
Neil, all comments below are of course based only on anecdotal evaluation of the Fraunhofer player. And we need to keep in mind that Fraunhofer's license allows exactly that: Evaluation and testing. That said and kind of out of the way:

Fraunhofer's easyDCP Player+ (latest version as of 5/2011 is 1.3.1) handles basic packages (read 1 PackingList with 1 or more compositions) fine. There's extensive validation upon open/ingest and it will say useful things about errors.

It currently does not open multi-PKL packages correctly (1 AssetMap with more than 1 PKL, see Fox' subtitle test package over at ISDCF's plugfest pages) which are of course perfectly valid packages. Should be no problem in the standard use case, though.

Wrt subtitles: It recently learned how to handle and render interop subs. No smpte subtitle trackfile support yet (All vendors are still struggling with this). The actual rendering of interop subtitles looks a lot different from a hardware media block's rendering, though. Also there is a off-by-one timeline bug, apparently, by which you most likely wouldn't be affected, though.

Again, in the case of errors it will provide rather useful messages, in my opinion.

neil richards

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
Thanks Wolfgang. I guess you're saying it's better than nothing but not perfect :) It seems happy with my openDCP generated 3D test files at the moment, and that's all I've got to go on until I get permission to try the DCP for real at a local cinema (which I'm still waiting on)

I'm going away now to chew on this some more, since I only read the DCP spec for the first time in January and have only been digging into this on and off seriously over the last few weeks. Your github links look interesting too, thanks, so I'll be browsing away in there for a while.

Cheers

Neil

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »
Neil, yes, exactly. The Fraunhofer player app is quite reliable for basic validation and testing. And it should be at least that as it is rather pricey. Throw a package with some not-so-basic features at it and you're on your own again.

One other remark about the general usefulness of a desktop DCP player: Might be that that's a bit overrated.

It is inefficient to begin with as decoding JPEG2000 is a major hassle for processors. And if I have the source master sequences it doesn't even make sense. All I'll see in a desktop player will be their custom flavor of decode and color transform errors.

Also the visual value of playing back high-quality material (graded and tweaked for DCP) on a desktop LCD is rather limited, in my opinion. Gamma will be all over the place, the different lighting ambience will be misleading, numerous issues.
The perceived high quality of masterly film work really stems from scrupulous attention to every quality-related detail, from prep and filming to filmout or DCP mastering. And current LCD screens just don't live in scrupulous-attention-land. I've seen some good ones in ok environments but they're still a far cry from the actual target, that magic dark place where the photons jostle me towards places I haven't seen before.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
I agree, the usefulness of a DCP player at the moment is pretty limited beyond basic validation. The conversion process includes specific calculations for digital cinema projection. Trying to verify the colors and gamma on an typical RGB monitor is not going to be of much value. In fact, it could result in you making changes that has a detrimental effect on the image quality at the theater. If you realize the limitations, then it can be good for a sanity type check. As things progress, especially SMPTE specifications, I see it being useful for subtitles, multiple narrative tracks, etc.

neil richards

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
Points well taken: the context of my question is purely *functional* validation, have I output a package that will actually play at a digital cinema without breaking anything? That's the stage I'm at at the moment. Once there's a stable flow in place for that then the whole quality/colour/mastering side opens up - but one step at a time, I don't have enough brain cell bandwidth to handle all this at once :)

Ian-M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
I recommend also to try our NeoDCP Player for compliance tests

http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=356.0

http://www.neodcp.com

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »
Ian, would you please describe the extent of compliance tests NeoDCP will perform? In comparison to Wailua, easyDCP Player and dcp_inspect: What kind of information will it provide?

Polona

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
One important thing to know about the Easy DCP player when using it to check the DCPs.
While it will show the interop subtitles it does not render them properly.
I've had it once that the subtitle lines were too long. When checking in Easy DCP player everything seemed fine, it was showing the lines inside the picture area. But in a cinema whole words were missing because they fell outside of the projected area.

And yes, still waiting for the ability of rendering SMPTE subs. They announced it in april already, but untill now, no update yet.

Polona

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
There's a new version of Easy DCP. There's quite a lot of new things. SMPTE subtitles are finally supported and also version files. I like the new audio wave preview option.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »