Please login or register. January 24, 2019, 01:42:52 AM

Author Topic: Audio Format Metadata  (Read 1982 times)

hdvprojection

• View Profile
Audio Format Metadata
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
How do I add the audio format of my DCPs to the CPL metadata. Several of the systems our exhibitors use ignore the name (they don't bother parsing out the "20", "51" or "71") and they cannot or will not simply detect the number of streams. They are looking for direction from the CPL, evidently a line like "cpl-meta:MainSoundConfiguration".

I'm not seeing options for this in OpenDCP, unless it has something to do with adding digital signatures. Is that it, or do I have to manually edit the CPL? If the latter, how would I do that?

We'd been led to believe that the Dolby 850 would automatically detect a 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos DCP and switch formats accordingly. I'm not so sure anymore. Please advise. Thanks.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Format Metadata
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
The servers do no parse anything from the title or name. The MainSoundConfiguration and other Meta-data are currently optional. The information regarding the audio format is contain within the MXF file.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
So, what exactly am I doing wrong? We tested several of our spots, and compared them to lab-issued trailers. The meta:MainSoundConfiguration tag appears to be missing from our DCPs.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Based on this page, I need to add the following lines to the CPL:
Code: [Select]
<CompositionMetadataAsset>
     xmlns="http://www.smpte-ra.org/schemas/429-16/2014/CPL-Metadata">
     <MainSoundConfiguration>71</MainSoundConfiguration>
</CompositionMetadataAsset>

I'm drawing a blank as to how to do that, however. I believe I need a decent XML editor (will just a basic text editor like Mousepad do the job?) and then I need to edit the CPL length within Assetmap by the above number of characters. Do I need to recalculate hashes as well?

Also, where would the lines above go, precisely? Would it be under MainSound, at the same level as EditRate, IntrinsicDuration, etc.? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:04:47 PM by hdvprojection »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »
SMPTE 429-16:2014 is about OPTIONAL metadata intended for human readable consumption. This is for content management purposes, allowing sorting, searching, filtering, cataloging, etc. In the future, it will reduce the role of the Digital Cinema Naming Convention. The server does not use it to determine the number of channels in the audio format. The truth is in the MXF file and that is what the server will use. Check your MXF files in EasyDCP Player. It may be there is an issue with the MXF file and some servers can deal with it, but the newer ones are more strict about it. There could be a bug in OpenDCP or the server itself. It wouldn't be the first time for either. Unfortunately, without access or testing time on an 850 or debug logs, there isn't much to go on. If you can get more information, that would be helpful.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
I have some clarification: firstly, in case there was any confusion, ingest and Playback are not a problem. These are fully functioning DCPs. Secondly, the issues we are seeing seem to reside mostly at the TMS/LMS level. Some of these systems, like the Hollywood Software TCC3, fetch higher-level playback instructions from the CPL (higher than, say, first and last frame.) Among these is the audio format.

So, when the theater staff is composing their feature SPL, and this playlist contains DCPs of differing audio formats, the TCC3 will automatically place the appropriate format cues wherever needed.

I suppose, then, what we're really discussing here is a feature request. Can writing these optional parameters to the CPL be included in a future version of opendcp? Thanks.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »