Please login or register. August 20, 2018, 06:48:18 AM

Author Topic: Mastering in Rec. ITU-R BT.1886  (Read 2571 times)

GrizzlyAK

• View Profile
Mastering in Rec. ITU-R BT.1886
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
Hi Terrence/Others,

I've mastered my short film for festival release using a monitor calibrated to Rec 1886, which is not straight Rec 709/2.2 gamma. My question is then this: Neither of the settings for source space (sRGB or Rec 709) are correct for my data in the XYZ conversion, and I don't know how that will impact the final look. Is there a plan to include a conversion that might include 1886 as a new option, since it is becoming much more widespread in mastering suites (I hear) and is the current recommended approach to gamma for Rec 709.

I should note that I chose Rec 1886 with its 2.4 gamma since I am mastering in a very dim environment with just a little bias lighting behind the screen, and my monitor whites set to 80 nits, with the understanding that it would be 'similar' to mastering at REc 709/2.2 in a brighter 100/120 nit environment. So, this may alleviate the concern I have about not having a 2.4 gamma to choose for input for the XYZ conversion, but I just don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Shane
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:44:47 PM by GrizzlyAK »

GrizzlyAK

• View Profile
Re: Mastering in Rec. ITU-R BT.1886
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had a chance to think about it.  ;)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »
I have not had a chance to dig into this and what it would take. If it's a matter of adding an additional transfer matrix, then it shouldnt be too difficult. If an entirely different transfer function than it becomes a bit more work.

GrizzlyAK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
I have not had a chance to dig into this and what it would take. If it's a matter of adding an additional transfer matrix, then it shouldnt be too difficult. If an entirely different transfer function than it becomes a bit more work.

Thanks Terrence. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and at the moment I'm leaning toward either converting to XYZ in Ae via DCDM CM or using the fnord dciconvert effect (or upon j2c export). Thanks for the reply and all the hard work you've done on OpenDCP. I will ultimately use OpenDCP to create my DCP once I get the j2000 sequence out and the 5.1 sound files prepared. Looking so forward to seeing what I've created on the big screen. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised!!  ;D

Cheers,
Shane

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »