Please login or register. August 20, 2018, 06:48:35 AM

Author Topic: Server can't see OpenDCP packages  (Read 2998 times)

dwywit

• View Profile
Server can't see OpenDCP packages
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
Hi - I'm having a problem getting a GDC 3000 to "see" DCP packages on an external USB drive. I've been able to ingest packages created by OpenDCP when copied to a USB memory stick formatted to FAT32. These were very short films, less than 2GB size on the video.mxf file. The server ingests CRU packages, and it has been able to ingest from USB hard drive as well in the past, supplied by the film's producers.

I've been converting a number of independent shorts (between 6 and 16 minutes length, too big for FAT32) using OpenDCP, so they can be ingested to the server, and run a a continuous show - otherwise I'll have to do "the dance" with the DVD player, swapping discs and playing with the dowser on the projector.

My set up is:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Core i7, 8GB memory, separate HDDs for OS, footage, and renders.
VirtualBox running Debian 8 64-bit as a guest, 2GB memory and 4 CPU cores allocated.

Workflow:
Extract TIFF and Audio from the original using ffmpeg on the Debian guest, export to shared folder on the host
Use Windows OpenDCP (see below) to convert TIFF to J2K, create MXF, generate DCI-compliant title, create DCP on shared folder
Attach 250GB external HDD to USB port, tell virtualbox to make it available to the guest
Create 2 partitions on external drive, create ext2 filesystem on each partition, mount in /media/{drive-label}
Copy DCP files from film 1 to partition 1, copy DCP files from film 2 to partition 2
Detach USB drive, take it to the cinema, attach it to the server, attempt to ingest.

Everything works fine up to this point.

The server can see *both* partitions, and it can see the "Lost + Found" directory on each partition, but it says "No package found"

What's missing? There are 6 files in each package, filmname-video.mxf, filmname-audio.mxf, the ASSETMAP and VOLINDEX files, and the other two XML files with long, random file names.

This same setup has created DCP packages on USB memory sticks in FAT32, and the server sees both partitions on the USB HDD.

Re: the hybrid Linux/windows setup. I tried, I really tried to do the whole thing in Linux, but getting the various tools to even compile was taking too much time. FFMPEG is fine, but imagemagick, openjpeg and asdcplib JUST WOULDN"T COMPILE!!! I tried to follow the dependency trail and resolve it, but trying to install some dependent packages didn't work - apt-get just refused to do it, for various reasons. In the end, I just swore at it, and decided to use the hybrid setup, especially as OpenDCP on Windows "just works".

Any advice is welcome. Is there a way to do some sort of compliance check after the package is generated?

P.S. sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Server can't see OpenDCP packages
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Your drive should only have 1 partition. Refer to this document.

http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc3-Disk-Drive-Recommendations-20140226v1.pdf

dwywit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »
AHA! Thanks for that. I need to transfer 3 shorts (and maybe a feature) to the server, and I wasn't sure whether the server would be able to see multiple DCP on one partition (each DCP in a directory one level below root), hence the 2 partitions.

I'll re-do the drive with 1 partition. Maybe I'll have to transfer them one at a time.

dwywit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »
Well, I got it all to work eventually  ;D

What's interesting is that during all the testing and mucking about, it turns out the server will happily read external drives with NTFS file systems! It wouldn't do it before, but the suppliers visited last month for a full service and update of the system - new air filters in the projector, updated the operating system in the server, check/calibrate the lamp, calibrate audio, etc, etc. So now the server accepts external USB devices formatted with NTFS, although it sees 2 partitions - Windows formats large drives as GPT not MBR, and adds a ~100MB partition 0 before the user partition (apparently to make the drive bootable, or some such reason), so when ingesting you must choose the second partition to make the server read your DCP.

I'll do some more testing to see just what the server is capable of reading. When formatting external drives to transport video, I specify a large allocation unit size to improve read/write performance - I wonder if the GDC will read a drive with allocation units > 4K ?

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »