Please login or register. September 20, 2018, 07:48:21 PM

Author Topic: How to play non DCP digital content  (Read 3288 times)

nevis

• View Profile
How to play non DCP digital content
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:37:27 AM »
Hi All

This is my first post so please be gentle!

Our community centre has just purchased an NEC 900c so we've started showing films.  We showed our first film last week and the show went perfectly.  It's all new to me but I have extensive IT experience so plenty of my skills are transferable.

What I'm trying to work out is a simple (ish) way to play other digital content and ultimately also have the ability to que it from a show on the doremi software on the server.

We also have a AP20 which can do A/V source switching and is controlled via doremei macros.  So far the best idea I've come up with is a Bluray player with IP or RS232 control that also has the ability to play content from usb devices, a network share or via dnla or something similar.  We could then plug that into one of the AP20 hdmi inputs and control everything via doremi macros.  I assume, if I can find a suitable player, selecting a file to play will be via cursor/menu selection so it will be a bit clunky but none the less "should" work.

So far I've found the Denon DN-500BD which looks like it might work but I can't find a manual.  There are also a couple of other Denon pro players too.  I don't really care what brand the player is as long as it works well.

Any thoughts on my plan and any suggestions for players that will do what I want?

Thanks in advance :)

nevis

• View Profile
Re: How to play non DCP digital content
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »
Anyone?

Carsten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
No easy answer. Most cinemas showing alternative content will not need or use automation/remote control with it.

Very often this happens in a 'fesival-style' situation, that is, there will be a playback machine, and a person sitting at it and playing content/playlists manually.

I think VLC has a remote control interface that can be addressed over IP. It could work to set up your control commands as raw messages from the Doremi. We also used MPC-HC for a while to play trailers. It was solid enough, but the problem in general is that being able to play all sorts of weird codecs also means you will actually receive all sorts of weird codecs - and sometimes they crash. That's the reason why DCI servers are so limited in codec support - it's all for robustness.

Some cinemas simply convert all alternative sources to DCP and play them from the DCI server. If the time is there, this is certainly the best option, if the person dealing with the conversions spends some time in self-education.

If you are looking for a Bluray/DVD player with remote control - get an Oppo, it offers a well documented RS232 and IP control interface.

The AP20 is a nice piece of gear. We have it for two years now and are very happy with it. Very solid, no quirks, no HDMI/HDCP voodoo.

- Carsten
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:14:14 PM by Carsten »

nevis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »
Apologies for the delay in responding, I've been away.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

I have seen the Oppo players but not looked into them, I'll take a closer look.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »