Please login or register. November 13, 2018, 02:50:30 PM

Author Topic: Using ffmpeg to optimize vocals in recordings - any advice?  (Read 9330 times)

patrickg

• View Profile
Using ffmpeg to optimize vocals in recordings - any advice?
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
Hello.  We need to use ffmpeg to remove non-vocal frequencies from audio files in order to make the voices in the recordings easier to hear.  ffmpeg offers various ways to do that, including bandpass, highpass, basscut, equalizer, all of which would do the job.  Trouble is the explanations ( http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html ) are extremely technical and despite my best efforts I haven't been able to figure them out.  I think all we really need to do is reduce or remove all sound at frequencies below, say, 200 Hz.  Does anyone know how to convert that requirement into the ffmpeg parameters?  Thanks!

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using ffmpeg to optimize vocals in recordings - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »
Do you have to use FFMpeg? Audacity is a nice GUI driven application, which has all kinds of plugins to do this sort of thing.

patrickg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:01:30 AM »
We need to use it on a Linux server, and I'm told Audacity only works on a local disk.  Plus we're already using ffmpeg to convert the files as part of a workflow system, and it's taken so long to set it up that I'd rather not mess with it too much - I'm hoping we can just slot in a bit of code that will do the bandpass as part of the conversion process.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:17 AM »
Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i <input> -af highpass=f=200,lowpass=f=3000 <encoding options> <output>
Re. FFmpeg's documentation: Section 2 of the filters documentation explains the basic concept. See the bandpass section if high/lowpass is not what you want.

patrickg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »
We've cracked it now, thanks!

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »