Please login or register. June 19, 2018, 12:41:05 PM

Author Topic: "Karaoke" subtitling  (Read 2777 times)

hdvprojection

• View Profile
"Karaoke" subtitling
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
I have a potential project I'm researching, and I'd appreciate any input. Suppose someone wanted (as they do) to run a karaoke-style screening of some old musical... Sound of Music, Rocky Horror, whatever. If my source is a BRD with full subtitles, how would you suggest I go about doing three things:
  • Grabbing all subtitles (what sort of file? Plain text? Never done this before at all, so...)
  • Deleting all subtitles that are not sung (tedious, I know, but necessary)
  • Scooting the remaining text (musical parts) forward slightly, so as to precede the actual lyrics as they are sung
The final result will be a DCP, so I guess I also need to know how to produce a functioning subtitles MXF. Any thoughts and guidance is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:50:21 PM by hdvprojection »

hdvprojection

• View Profile
Re: "Karaoke" subtitling
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
Aegisub was the key, for whoever is interested. The only problem with it is that it crashed my system whenever I used the video preview option. But I was able to use the waveform from the movie soundtrack perfectly.

Also, used Michael Cinquin's online tool for generating the subtitles MXF. It works, but you should be forewarned that OpenDCP (0.28.1) fails to provide a hash for the subs MXF within the packinglist. You will have to get this manually, insert it into the packinglist, and then edit the listed length of the packinglist in ASSETMAP.

Finally, six different Christie projectors, with a broad range of firmware upgrades in place, were either displaying the subs or not, largely as a function of what their version number was today. GDC was able to confirm output to the projector, and shortly thereafter Christie confessed to displaying it improperly, which is to say not at all. Three successes, three failures today. Identical DCPs in all cases.

dcinemaforum.com

Re: "Karaoke" subtitling
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »