Please login or register. March 23, 2019, 04:53:07 PM

Author Topic: Validating DCPs  (Read 7578 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Validating DCPs
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
As part of the DCP creation process, it is important to validate your DCP. However, aside from trying at the destination venue, there are few options. Fortunately, Wolfgang Woehl has done nice work on a validation tool, dcp_inspect. As with most tools, it can't catch every possible mistake that can be made, but it's a great way to catch the most common ones that cause problems. Definitely something that should be added to your workflow.

https://github.com/wolfgangw/backports

Carsten

• View Profile
Re: Validating DCPs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
Would it be possible to create a bootable USB-Stick/CD Linux distribution including dcp_inspect in order to make validating DCPs easier for people?
Or a VM? How would a VM get access to an ext2/3 filesystem then? It would probably work with one of the common ext2/3 drivers for windows working in the host OS?

- Carsten
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:20:23 AM by Carsten »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
This would be easy enough using a VM. Depending on the hypervisor, you can easily share files between the guest and host regardless of the drive formats.

schmiddl

• View Profile
VM with dcp_inspect
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:45:18 AM »
I tried to create an Ubuntu VM on my Windows system with virtual box and vmware.
With VMware I failed completely and with virtual box I kind of got it to work.
It was a pain in the ass to figure out how to access my internal hard drives and external USB drives inside the VM.
There is also a CRU Dataport frame in my computer, but I could not get the VM to access external SATA discs.
So unfortunately I can't use dcp_inspect on a VM for now. It would be great to have a downloadable VM preinstalled with dcp_inspect!!!  :)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »
Sharing USB devices should be pretty straight forward in VMware, but it can be a bit tricky sharing internal drives depending on the guest OS. The hgfs driver is broken on some of the linux distrobutions. In this case, you can create a network share of your drive in Windows. Then you can access it within VM as a network share.

cjflynn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
I have used dcp_inspect on a Mac with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 12.04, and on a Raspberry Pi. They both work, and believe me, if I can figure it out, anyone should be able to. Links to articles that I wrote of what I learned during that voyage close this post.

That said, there is a pain in the ass factor that is exactly equivalent to the value of creating professional skills in your field of choice. Although this thread is old, I see that it has been read several thousand times, no doubt by people looking for clues...and so...

There are 3 essential things that must be done with a USB drive on VirtualBox with Ubuntu, (and I would presume, with VMWare.)

First, after you format your drive to ext3* (presuming it is sdb1, check first with fdisk -l)
sudo mkfs.ext3 -I 128 -m 0 -L DiskName /dev/sdb1
   you must modify the permissions. I go for 777 since it is only me using my disks, but 755 would be the normal
sudo chmod -R 755 /dev/sdb1
   you must, in the Virtualbox menu, pull down Devices down to USB, then USB Settings. It will open a window...click on the USB plug icon that has the plus '+' sign, on the right hand side of the window. The brand of the USB Flash Drive will appear at the bottom of the list. Click the checkbox next to the drive then click OK. From then on, if you put in the drive after Ubuntu is booted and ready to go, the drive will mount without going through the Apple OS, eliminating a step and the dangerous possibility of putting invisible files on the USB drive that could complicate the servers that you need to put DCPs on. If you're lucky it will even open a window for you.

you probably could give yourself ownership,
sudo chown owner:owner media/owner/DriveName

Finally, if you are really in tune with the part of yourself that wants to be a professional, download a front end for dcp_inspect from the great people at zweib
http://www.zweib.com/portfolio/medienproduktion/dcp-validator/
and follow their detailed instructions.

Or, follow the disjointed writing at:
http://dcinematools.com/index.php/advices/92-consultants/1835-the-dcp-usb-on-a-mac-cinetechgeek-to-digital-cinema-tools
and
http://dcinematools.com/index.php/post/video-processing/1838-validating-a-dcp

*Always, only, ever put a DCP on a drive or stick formatted for ext3. Period. No matter what anyone else says, there is a standard and not a recommended practice... . If you choose to ignore this, while your drive is formatting, practice saying, "The noble techs at the film festival ran out of time and couldn't get our DCP from the non-standard drive that I gave them. I know you invested a lot of time and money with me to get the movie made, but I decided to be non-professional at the last moment. The festival wouldn't give our submission fee back, but said if we pay again next year that we might be able to resubmit."

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »