Please login or register. November 22, 2019, 12:53:19 AM

Author Topic: NeoDCP Player - The Most Progressive 3D DCP Player Software  (Read 15295 times)

Ian-M

• View Profile
Dear Friends and Colleagues,

It's our pleasure to give You a brief update regarding the availability of the NeoDCP Player Software for all of You. The NeoDCP Player is a Windows-based 3D DCP player software with very modest hardware requirements. We believe everyone here knows pretty well what a DCP player is, so let us just provide You with a link to the product website and to list the most important software features.

The official website is http://www.neodcp.com

Trial versions are available for direct download from here: http://www.neodcp.com/download/

Main playback features:
  • Playback of both encrypted and unencrypted Digital Cinema Packages (DCP)
  • Support for both the SMPTE DCP and the legacy Interop DCP JPEG2000-based standards
  • Stereoscopic (3D) playback on supported devices
  • Real-time decoding and lossless playback of 2K DCPs at 24 fps on a single-CPU system
  • Real-time decoding and lossless playback of stereoscopic (3D) 2K DCPs at 48 fps on a single-CPU system
  • Preview of DCPs up to 4K on almost any modern Windows-based computer, also in 3D, if supported
  • Subtitle rendering (both SMPTE XML/MXF and Interop)
  • Built-in Key Delivery Message (KDM) database with easy to use KDM-ingest feature
  • Concurrent KDM-ingest is possible when previewing DCPs
  • Full-screen playback with separate control window
  • Full vertical-sync control on secondary or tertiary display devices
  • No playback tearing or stuttering issues
  • Simple DCP inspection, possible to show relevant ingested decryption keys and their expiration dates, and to show the internal DCP structure

Additional features useful for Production Companies:
  • Check DCPs before they are sent to cinemas
  • Playback of individual MXF files with the possibility of combining them together and optionally specifying their decryption keys
  • Able to inspect DCPs on a per-frame basis
  • Smooth playback looping for diagnostic purposes
  • Possibility to step frame-by-frame forward or backward

Other notable features:
  • Simple and easy to use
  • Multilingual user interface, available in English, German, Russian, and Slovak languages so far, other translations can be added quite easily
  • Modest hardware requirements: a single high-end CPU with a mid-end graphics adapter will suffice
  • Real-time XYZ to RGB color space conversion
  • Possibility to automatically adjust the playback resolution to match computer power or to control the playback resolution manually
  • Synchronized audio playback
  • Manually adjustable audio/video delay in milliseconds
  • Available for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
  • Available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
  • No internet connection required

Stay tuned for more!

Should You have any questions, suggestions, or offers, just drop us a message, and we will be happy to satisfy You.

Best regards,

the NeoDCP Development Team.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:07:03 AM by Ian-M »

Ian-M

• View Profile
Re: NeoDCP Player - The Most Progressive 3D DCP Player Software
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »
During several months we have substantially improved the NeoDCP Player software.

The development of new features was mostly driven by requirements of our customers and it resulted in the following great enhancements.

We have:
  • added the much anticipated playlist feature with smooth uninterrupted transitions between DCPs
  • reduced hardware requirements, so a quad-core i7 with an integrated GPU should suffice
  • added 30-bit deep color output support (AMD/ATI, Intel)
  • improved HDCP and DPCP content protection mechanisms to ensure compatibility with deep color video output
  • enabled users to define their own XYZ to RGB color space conversions to meet various requirements
  • added more video scaling options, so 4K and 2K content can be played nicely even on full-HD projectors
  • added support for digital masking (Flat 1.85:1, Scope 2.39:1, 2.35:1 and 16:9)
  • added support for side-by-side stereoscopic playback
  • it is possible to configure reference whites for color transforms
  • added support for stereoscopic SMPTE subtitles

Moreover there was a new big release of NeoDCP two days ago that will be announced in the following post.

A good news is that the trial version can be now used for 30 days, the previous 7 day period was simply too short.

We have also established the Facebook fan page for you, so you may get in touch with us more easily.

Should You have any questions, suggestions, or offers, just drop us a message, and we will be happy to satisfy You.

Best regards,

the NeoDCP Development Team.

Ian-M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
Dear friends and colleagues,

new version of the NeoDCP Player was just released.
  • Supplemental DCPs are now fully supported.
  • You can now verify DCP's hashes to make sure the it was not corrupted during the copy process or HDD transportation.
  • DCPs can be “ingested” to DCP repositories – the ingest operation performs automatic integrity verification while copying DCP files to a DCP repository (any folder registered through Manage Repositories). The slightest anomaly cancels the import.
  • And many other useful features...

Official release notes:

NeoDCP Player v2.50 (28th July 2014)
  • Implemented DCP ingest feature
  • Implemented DCP hash verification feature
  • Added full support for so-called Supplemental DCPs
  • Unresolved file references are clearly marked when inspecting supplemental DCPs
  • Added Spanish translation of the application
  • Added more diagnostic checks to the DirectX initialization code
  • Added more diagnostic checks to the MXF handling code
  • More MXF file metadata displayed on inspect (average bit-rate, type, etc.)
  • Added an option to disable subtitles rendering
  • Added menu item to toggle digital mask visibility for projector/screen configuration
  • Added support for the EffectSize subtitle attribute
  • If needed, decryption key validity periods are extended by 6 hours (according to the DCI Specification v1.2)
  • Added ‘Alt-F’ hotkey to switch between full-screen and windowed modes
  • A warning is shown when running the 32-bit version under a 64-bit Windows OS
  • It is possible to play CPLs containing audio even if the output audio device is not available
  • Added license expiration dialog
  • Licensing menu and dialogs redesigned
  • Maximum picture queue size is now determined differently
  • CPL selection dialog items reordered
  • PKL content title is displayed instead when the PKL annotation text is empty
  • KDM-related optimizations
  • Redesigned the KDM browser window
  • DCP inspect window redesigned
  • The default border subtitle effect was too faint
  • Fixed minor font style selection issue introduced in the previous version
  • Corrected sizing of some GUI elements
  • Changed colors of some GUI elements
  • More verbose when PKL asset file info is incomplete
  • More verbose when parsing invalid or missing ASSETMAP/CPL/PKL/MXF files
  • More verbose when encountering errors during opening of playlist files
  • Renamed the ‘default’ full-screen mode to ‘use Windows desktop settings’
  • Changed the default setting of ‘Video scaling’ to ‘fit to the display area’
  • Replaced the ‘B’ hotkey for digital mask by ‘Alt-M’ and changed its context to the controller window
  • Slightly modified the behavior of excess CPU load indicator
  • Most dialogs except file/folder selection are now centered on screen
  • JPEG 2000 decoder updated
  • PNG decoder updated
  • Translations updated
  • Decryption key expiration warning was sometimes shown way too early

Download link:

Enjoy!

julieceylan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:02:56 AM »
Probably a nice DCP player, but if it was so "Progressive", there would be a Mac version, just like EasyDCP Player or Final DCP Player...

Cheers,

Julie

Ian-M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
Probably a nice DCP player, but if it was so "Progressive", there would be a Mac version, just like EasyDCP Player or Final DCP Player...

Cheers,

Julie

Unfortunately there is no native Mac OS X version of the NeoDCP Player. It is simply very difficult to reach a cinema grade quality of video output under Mac OS X as it was reached in the NeoDCP Player under Windows.

Mac OS X low level access is very limited, therefore tearing, stuttering and other issues would always be present there. Particulary if you would want to control the playback on one monitor while having output on secondary monitor/projector (very common use scenario).

However, there are several installations of the NeoDCP on Mac computers using Boot camp and Windows that are being used to screen DCPs in cinemas for audience with great results.

actpower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
I´m higly interested in Neo DCP and I consider to purchase it, the only thing that miss from it is a DCP inspection like EasyDCP Player does, that check the XML files and if have any errors show it.

For example using some faulty DCPs, EasyDCP take care of it, and NeoDCP play it without warning. When I deliver to a Cinema I need 99% of security of that DCP works ;-)

In any case is a fine DCP Player and CHEAP!

julieceylan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Unfortunately there is no native Mac OS X version of the NeoDCP Player. It is simply very difficult to reach a cinema grade quality of video output under Mac OS X as it was reached in the NeoDCP Player under Windows.

Mac OS X low level access is very limited, therefore tearing, stuttering and other issues would always be present there. Particulary if you would want to control the playback on one monitor while having output on secondary monitor/projector (very common use scenario).

However, there are several installations of the NeoDCP on Mac computers using Boot camp and Windows that are being used to screen DCPs in cinemas for audience with great results.

EasydCP Player and Final DCP work both just fine on MacOSX, with perfect color rendition, and with SDI output with Blackmagic support. Maybe you should hire a good programmer to do it ;-)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

Seriously? NeoDCP is shaping up to be a nice product, it's Windows only and that's fine, no need to toss out nonsense reasons why it's not on OSX.

Ian-M

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

Seriously? NeoDCP is shaping up to be a nice product, it's Windows only and that's fine, no need to toss out nonsense reasons why it's not on OSX.

@Terrence & julieceylan
Guys, I don't want to start any figths here. I can see that there are other professional products available for Mac OS X, but are they able to play DCPs without stuttering or tearing issues on the secondary monitor/projector? And what about content protection (HDCP) that is mandatory when playing encrypted content? ;)

Maybe you should give the NeoDCP Player a try and compare results. If you want I can ask my colleague to arrange fully featured evaluation licenses for you, just let me know.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
@Terrence & julieceylan
Guys, I don't want to start any figths here. I can see that there are other professional products available for Mac OS X, but are they able to play DCPs without stuttering or tearing issues on the secondary monitor/projector? And what about content protection (HDCP) that is mandatory when playing encrypted content? ;)

Maybe you should give the NeoDCP Player a try and compare results. If you want I can ask my colleague to arrange fully featured evaluation licenses for you, just let me know.

I have nothing against NeoDCP, in fact, I think it's a good product that has been improving steadily. However, the OSX based DCP players I have tried played fine with no stuttering, tearing, or other playback issues on secondary monitors. I can't speak for the HDCP part as I did not use encrypted content.

julieceylan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
Terrence's right, no problems here too with FinalDCP and EasyDCP. No problems with encrypted content and KDM for EasyDCP Player+ too.

NeoDCP should seriously consider a Mac version, because a bunch of post production houses are still on Mac, and at this price a DCP player on Mac would be a serious contender to the ones above.

jamiegau

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »
I find it strange no one mentioned dcpPlayerFree.
It is, hands down the fastest J2K decoder in the world.
Its based on Kakadu, which everyone who wants speed is doing.  Plus, our coder added a bunch more byte code (machine code) to optimism it even more.
So, typically most DCP players will downgrade the quality until non-stutter playback is possible.  This is a great feature of the J2K codec.
But the better your decoder, the better the quality on poorer hardware.  So, typically this is a big deal for those who understand this.

So really, its not hard to get real time playback, its hard to get real time playback with quality.

In terms of Mac, yes, Mac is harder to archive the optimisations.  Its why we never went down that path.  Plus Mac is a different model.  Ie you use it for different reasons.  Its not an industrial playback box.  That's what something you can rack mount is for.  and that is not a Mac,  its Windows or Linux.  (Ie so don;t expect Mac DCP players to be too useful apart from simple preview and limited QC testing.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
From what I recall, dcpPlayer is pretty good as well.

I must be developing on a different version of Mac than everyone else, because I've haven't encountered any optimization issues. If you're still trying to write software that works on PPC and Intel Macs, then sure, it can be a little extra work. Apple put in a lot of effort to make it easy to get applications working on across different architectures and that came at some cost. However, that was like 10 years ago and even then it wasn't difficult to target specific platforms. Byte code and CPU instructions (AVX, SSE, etc) work the same. There can be some small gotchas like instruction alignment.

I know several companies that deployed Mac Mini's in rack environments because the CPU density is (or was at the time) greater and KW per core lower per 1U than many servers. The standard video cards in most rack servers are pretty bad, some don't even have audio chips. Most still output VGA only. Windows can be a relatively terrible OS for a server. I don't think anyone using a software based DCP player is looking for an industrial solution.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »