Please login or register. November 14, 2019, 04:28:13 PM

Author Topic: Commercial Tools  (Read 38726 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Commercial Tools
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
The easiest, but more costly way of creating DCP is using commercial tools. These tools are generally in the $2500-5000 price range, but that could be very well worth it, depending on your needs, time, and desire to avoid possible frustration with an open source solution. This thread lists some commercial software based solutions.

• CineAsset by doremi (http://www.doremicinema.com/cineasset.html)
    CineAsset seems to be fairly new. You can download a demo, which will create a 15 second water marked clip. It will convert various media formats into an MPEG2 Interop or DCI JPEG2000 package. These DCPs work on all major servers. Doremi has a solid reputation in the digital cinema maket. They have two versions, standard and pro. They also announced a Final Cut Pro plugin for OS X.

• Qube Master Xpress by Qube Cinema (http://www.qubecinema.com/qmx/default.htm)
    Qube Master has been on the market for years. A demo is available upon request. It has a very simple interface and can convert the major media formats into a DCI JPEG2000 package. It currently only runs on Windows. They also have a professional software package called QubeMaster. Additionally, they are expecting to release a Final Cut plug-in for the OS X in late 2010.

• EasyDCP by Fraunhoffer (http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/EN/bf/bv/cinema/dcpcreation.js)
    This software isn't quite as versatile as other options. It will only create a DCP from JPEG2000, TIFF or DPX files. You'll need to export a project into JPEG2000 or 12-bit TIFF frames and the audio tracks in seperate wav files. It will convert your project into the XYZ colorspace, which is one of the tricky parts of the DCP process. EasyDCP is compatible with Windows and OS X.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:08:23 PM by Terrence »

jusiponen

Re: Commercial Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:42:39 AM »

...[EasyDCP] will only create a DCP from JPEG2000 or DPX files. You'll need to export a project into JPEG2000 frames and the audio tracks in seperate wav files. It will convert your project into the XYZ colorspace, which is one of the tricky parts of the DCP process.

The part about audio tracks is correct, but EasyDCP will also read uncompressed 12bit TIFFs and compress them in JPEG2000 format. For best performance you'll want a fast multicore CPU and *very* fast disks to keep the CPU busy (I use a 4 core / 8 thread system and a RAID0 array of 6 x 1 TB).

StephenCin

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
I had good results creating DCP packages in a bind with open source tools recommended in other threads, now I have some documentaries to encode - due to their length I would rather use a commercial tool. I really like EasyDCP  - the other day I found Prism DCP, does not have some bells and whistles like encryption or subtitles (bummer) ... however the price is within my budget and the support emails seemed responsive, anyone used it for something longer???

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I had good results creating DCP packages in a bind with open source tools recommended in other threads, now I have some documentaries to encode - due to their length I would rather use a commercial tool. I really like EasyDCP  - the other day I found Prism DCP, does not have some bells and whistles like encryption or subtitles (bummer) ... however the price is within my budget and the support emails seemed responsive, anyone used it for something longer???

If you are going to invest in a software based tool, EasyDCP is probably one the fastest and more stable packages out there. It doesn't have the feature set of CineAsset, but in my experience CineAsset has been quite buggy. Is it worth the $3000-$5000? In my opinion, no. I'd rather put the money toward a real-time hardware solution.

Now, nearly every DCP package software uses the same underlying open source packages. The biggest difference you'll find is what JPEG2000 encoder is used. EasyDCP uses the very fast and expensive commercial Kakadu encoder, which explains some of its costs. Most others use the open source library, OpenJPEG.

The other open source tools used include:

ASDCPLIB (MXF wrapping)
ImageMagick (Source image conversion and in some cases an incorrect XYZ color conversion)
OpenJPEG (JPEG2000 encoding)
Open Cinema Tools (DCP XML Creation)
XMLSec (Digital signatures)
OpenSSL (encryption)
Expat/LibXML2/Xerces (XML reading/writing)

and so on.

A lot of the DCP packages are going to have the same flaws and limitations. Most of these tools, like Prism DCP, don't even use the library APIs, they just call command line tools. They basically put a GUI around a bunch of free and readily available shell programs. Prism DCP has to be one of the worst examples I've seen so far and the fact they are trying to charge $2000 is unbelievable. It seriously makes me think I should abandon OpenDCP and turn it into ExpensiveDCP for $1999. If only one person bought it, I'd be able to go buy me a new MacPro.

Haha, ugh, sorry for the rant. Seriously, save your money.... or if you want donate some money to the OpenDCP project so I can get a 12 core MacPro. :-) It would actually help OpenDCP development.

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »
Haha, ugh, sorry for the rant. Seriously, save your money.... or if you want donate some money to the OpenDCP project so I can get a 12 core MacPro. :-) It would actually help OpenDCP development.

hah, I was actually looking for the Donate button last night, but couldn't find it. Is there one?  :)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
hah, I was actually looking for the Donate button last night, but couldn't find it. Is there one?

Haha, no there isn't a donation button. I actually have thought about setting one up and using the money to try and purchase a Kakadu software license. The encoding speeds are many time faster than openjpeg.

deppen_s

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »
you doing grate job, if you give me working mpeg dcp maker and i'll donate some money to you.

Da_Cat

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
I'll donate some money to this also :-) 

You might think about putting something up on kickstarter also...   

Axel Mertes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
Hi Terrence,

I may chime in and tell you and all others that we released our FinalDCP and FinalDCP FREE Edition DCP encoding software. Its available as a commercial product (currently starting at Euro 350,00 + VAT) and a FREE Edition (with transparent logo superimposed). We think that sets a new price level.

We also concentrated on making this the fastest and easiest to use DCP encoding tool ever, see a short demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcu8sR3kBKo

We support some user friendly common compressed formats such as ProRes, DNxHD, CineForm, DPC, Quicktime, AVI, JPEG2000, MXF JPEG2000 streams, which save you some extra conversion steps in most cases, a lot of disk space and make far better use of your network bandwidth.

While some may miss a few features as of now (we are implementing features at a high rate now, and belive me - we miss them too), we have something that distincts our solution from about everything else out there:

Network rendering

You can actually run our transcoding engine easily on your network and thereby scale to nearly any speed, just depending on your setup. If configured right, you can even mix Windows and MAC OSX machines (we need to make a tutorial for that).

You can download the Final FREE Edition directly from our website: www.magnamana.com and follow the links to Products and FinalDCP.

We will have a new build coming up early next week, bringing much desired TIFF support, RED R3D support, automatic audio padding on reels with no audio etc., automatic cropping and padding to selected container format etc. Builds for MAC OSX and Windows are available.

The FinalDCP FREE Edition has unlimited RenderNodes, so scales to the utmost speed you can ever get from your infrastructure. I can easily convert faster than realtime to JPEG2000.

Cheers,
Axel
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:40:11 PM by Axel Mertes »

bigkumadog

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
I have been using QubeMaster Xport a Compressor 4 plug-in http://www.qubecinema.com/products/Xport and QC preview, package, and KDM with QubeMaster Pro Packager http://www.qubecinema.com/products/QubeMaster_Packager and have made over 25 encrypted DCP's for our small post production studio and the workflow is pretty straight forward.  Qube Cinema has good customer service which helped explain the process of encrypting and KDM generation.   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:47:24 AM by bigkumadog »

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »
I have a question that relates to the commercial tools, kinda sorta. I use Doremi's Cineasset mostly for playback, occasionally for creation. It's buggy for the latter, pretty reliable for the former.

However, it does not recognize DCPs in folders when I create them, only the ones we get from the labs, Fotokem et al. In other words, I should be able to simply point DCPlayer to the correct folder and hit play. Instead, I have to select the option "Separated audio/video files", even though they're not separated... they're one DCP generated with OpenDCP and located in the same folder. DCPlayer will sync the two MXF files I select this way and play them back, but it doesn't seem to recognize the information in ASSETMAP or any of the files.

Why?

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
Bump

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
I just tried content created with OpenDCP and it worked fine with a SMPTE package opening as a DCP using the latest demo version.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Hard to say what we're looking at. Post the output of dcp_inspect.

Also, what's Doremi saying?

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
Can I install dcp_inspect on a Windows box? This is my work computer... Windows, sadly.

DCPlayer says: "Error: Failed to find any picture file"

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »