Please login or register. September 20, 2018, 08:34:14 PM

Author Topic: DCP distribution alternatives  (Read 5521 times)

loki

• View Profile
DCP distribution alternatives
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm curious about how other distributers get their DCPs to venues. Mainly we (and most other distributers I guess) are distributing DCPs on hard drives through forwarding agencies and sometimes when it is efficient via satellite. I read about other ways to transport DCPs in fitted file packages via telephone or television cable. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could share their experience on those two alternatives. In which cases is it convenient?

Keen to here your opinions
loki

walterlionguy

Re: DCP distribution alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
The majority of big budget films that I have seen are usually sent to Technicolor/Deluxe.  The studios in that case send their Digital Cinema Distribution Master (DCDM) to these distributors so they have all the images, sound, subtitles, etc needed to make the DCP which they are responsible for distributing.  They also take care of the KDM's too.

As for satellite, I know Technicolor and Deluxe both support satellite content delivery now.  I use a Deluxe one at my work with Doremi TMS and its fairly straightforward.  Deluxe pushes the DCP's onto the servers over satellite and wham, there they are in the library, no hard drive needed.  The telephone thing you heard about was probably KDM's.  Don't ask me why but no one seems to want to distribute KDM's over satellite or broadband internet connection.  Last time I heard they still insist on using e-mail or phone (yes a phone) modem to get the keys.  If this has changed and someone knows please tell me.

Low budget films only seen at a handful of theatres are usually just distributed directly from the company that made the movie, on common USB3 external hard drives from what I have seen.

Anyone else have more thoughts?

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:52 AM »

Lars_G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
Reading the OpenBar description all I could think of is "These guys figured out how to use bittorrent to deliver DCPs"

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:30 AM »
Indeed it sounds like a torrent network. I like the idea. Too bad it is essential to get most or at least many cinemas/distributers to use a specific torrent network for sharing trailers and shorts or the speed won't be advantageous to other means of distribution. I think it would work but I doubt there is enough awareness of the simplicity of this procedure and very few people who'd be willing to change their established procedure.. One of the biggest cinema chain we distribute to still demands trailer delivery on DVD. My colleagues are always really happy when they have to copy all day for such an outdated practice...

Anyone tried OpenBar?

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:30 AM »