Please login or register. November 16, 2018, 07:21:29 PM

Author Topic: Help with DCP audio workflow from After Effects...  (Read 4787 times)

tigert10

Help with DCP audio workflow from After Effects...
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
I am a motion graphics guy producing advertisements for theater.  The picture is great.  However, we seem to be having some problems with adding audio.  I am using After Effects CS4 for motion graphics and audio and OpenDCP for DCP creation.

Description of current workflow:  My After Effects project is 24fps and when I export the audio AE does not have an option for 24bit or for mono.  So, what I have been doing is exporting two 48khz 32bit stereo wav files from AE.  The wav files are identical expect one has the left channel muted and the other has the right channel muted.  I then have been taking these wav files into Adobe Media Encoder and converting them to 48khz 24bit mono wav files.

Questions about workflow:  During the conversion from 32bit to 24bit in Adobe Media Encoder, is my wav file conformed to 24fps (or was it ever conformed to begin with)?

Is there a way to tell if the wav files are 24fps, or is that just a given since they are exported from a 24fps After Effects comp?

Is there a better way for getting audio from After Effects to DCP ready wav files?

Thanks in advance for your kindness in helping me out!

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with DCP audio workflow from After Effects...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
Audio doesn't have frame rates, only duration. So, it doesn't matter what your picture frame rate is, so long as duration of the picture track is the same as that of the audio. Now, if you were doing a frame rate conversion, say from 23.97->24 then there are things you would need to take in consideration because you would be possibly be changing the duration of the picture track depending on the method.

In any case, if your source is 24fps, then you don't need to do anything... just export 24-bit 48khz mono wavs... and that means 1 channel, not 2 channel with the right channel muted. Converting from 32-bit to 24-bit has no affect on the duration, just the amount of data used to represent each sample of audio.

tigert10

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
Thanks for your response.  That makes sense.  So, exporting from AE in 32bit stereo from the same comp and length as the picture and then converting to 24bit mono files in Adobe Media Encoder should produce wav files acceptable for DCP? 

walterlionguy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
Yea that's the right idea.  Just double check and make absolute sure they are indeed true mono files like Terrance said.  Iv seen many strange things happen when stereo WAV files are thrown into the audio container.  Try to make sure your mono WAVs are in 48Khz or 96Khz too.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »