Please login or register. January 24, 2019, 01:04:25 AM

Author Topic: REALD projection artifacts  (Read 5330 times)

tdriscoll

REALD projection artifacts
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
Hello All,

Does anyone have good experience with RealD systems? I have a RealD setup (Not XL) on an NEC 1200C projector and I am noticing some artifacting in one eye. It appears as almost an interlacing effect and only over fine text, highlights and high contrast areas. Has anyone else seen or experienced this?

I have been told there might be a "Cinemaplex" setting that I can adjust but I can't find it anywhere in the Dolby DCC program. I was also told to check my settings for "Dark Time" and "Output Reference Delay" but adjustment of those values seems to take my image further off course.

Any ideas?

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: REALD projection artifacts
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
The RealD systems I've seen in action do have ghosting issues. It's important to remember that the RealD tech is just one part of the light path. Other components which might affect separation (via polarization) are booth windows (might be dirty or unsuited), silver screen (might be in bad shape), the so-called glasses (which are in bad shape once reused).

When you tweak dark time and output reference delay and the results move away from best possible it tells me that your system is well-calibrated.

But again: Excellent separation for high contrast regions is hard to achieve with RealD, in my experience.

walterlionguy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
There is no way for the polarization in a Real-D system to work 100% perfectly.  There is always going to be some crosstalk between the two separate images.  I agree with Wolfgang, that you can minimize this by keeping the booth window and silver screen as clean as possible.

Also keep in mind that the Real-D glasses that theatres use are rather cheap in quality, both construction and the filters.  They could produce much nicer glasses that have better filters in them but then that costs more (keeping in mind just how many of these things they have to produce).  I always recommend to anyone who is big on 3D, go and get a pair of quality circular polarizing glasses for yourself.  They may cost you 20-30 dollars but they are so much nicer, and tend to do a better job at minimizing crosstalk than standard Real-D glasses.  8)

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »