Please login or register. September 21, 2018, 02:07:16 AM

Author Topic: OpenDCP GUI Update  (Read 66444 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OpenDCP GUI Update
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
If anybody on OSX 10.6 would like to try a GUI version of opendcp_j2k, I put a beta version up on the google project site.

http://opendcp.googlecode.com/files/opendcp-j2k.dmg

I'm making a pretty big change to the design of OpenDCP to allow for some new features that I want to implement. Unfortunately, this will push the complete GUI release off for awhile.

However, I'm going to break out some of the components and release them as standalone apps. So there will be essentially GUI versions of opendcp_j2k, opendcp_mxf, and opendcp_xml. I'll probably combine them into a single simple application, but they will remain separate steps. Then I'll continue work on the full GUI application which will have all the steps integrated among other things.

So, I'll start rolling out these standalone GUIs for OSX and Windows over the next week for testing.

ratherlargerobot

Re: OpenDCP GUI Update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
Excellent! The GUI looks great.

I don't know if this matters or not, but when I compared the output of the GUI tool against the output of the command line tool (opendcp_j2k 0.16), the `diff` command said that the same frame differed between versions. When I inspected them visually, they looked identical to my eye. This may just be down to some metadata differences or something, and is probably nothing to worry about.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
There is metadata that would cause a straight binary diff to fail between versions. Also, the default quality level in the GUI is 60 (150mb/s) and 100 (250mb/s) in the command line. If you really wanted, you could do hexdump and see the actual difference.

Glad you like the GUI. The final one will be much better. :-)

P.S. The windows version of the opendcp-j2k GUI has uploaded to the google project site.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:08:56 PM by Terrence »

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
It's actually working on my windows ...xp and it seems fine !

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Awesome, I'm glad it is working. I don't have a real Windows system to test on, so that is good to know.

By the way, once the GUI is fully available, is there anybody that would still want command line tools? I never intended to support the command line once the GUI was done, but if there is need/interest in them I might not retire them completely.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:09:14 AM by Terrence »

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
Who knows ?

If the GUI works fine on ubuntu, windows and mac maybe the command line is not useful anymore.

But command lines might be faster to use for some people or other developments (?)

ratherlargerobot

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Personally, I like having the command line tools available. Unless it becomes a maintenance burden, I think there is still value there. However, you are the one writing the code, so I would presume to make demands on your time :)

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
9 hours later it's still working fine reaching 95% of the job - but isn't it a bit slow ? Ok my video lasts 4 minutes which it's quite silly for testing...  ::)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
It depends on your system. Jpeg2000 software encoding is processor intensive... I can get around 1.5fps on my Macbook i7. So, 4 minutes would be 5760 frames (24fps). That should take about an hour, yeah 9 hours seems crazy long. How many threads does it say it is using? It is still processing frames? Do you see new ones being written? There could be a memory leak or some other issue on the Windows side. I'll try to get access to a Windows machine so I can do some testing.

Could you give me details on your system?

MrHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »
This is my testresult on z800 CPU: dual e5530 2.4 GHz RAM: 12GB OS: Windows7 Ultimate

Input 16Bit TIFF sequence
Frames: 2550
Using all 8 cores, the commandline version crashes. after 58 min using 6 cors the job was done.

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
Ahem... my system is old : one amd64 2,7gHz windows XP 2Go RAM so it sounds very logical - it seems to be little faster with DCP Creator (but this one can't end job with mono core)

Anyway the job was (almost) correctly done :

almost because the length of the video mxf file was not correct in xml files !

It was "-196665852" instead of "6989317472"

Yes you did see a minus sign...

Strange isn't it ?

I've changed this value and then the DCP appears in my dolby TMS and doremiDCP2000 servers.

But the kind is not the one I wrote - it appears as feature and I'm 100% sure I wrote "-k short" in the command line.

edit : I wrote "short" instead of "feature" into the cpl.xml but then my dcp becomes invisible again - guess the kind is sensitive in xml files generation.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:55:05 PM by Coeur Noir »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
I would say there is a bug in the windows version related to file offset size and the counter can only hold enough for 32-bit... which is about 4gb. I bet if you did anything less than that it will work. I'll address this.

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
Ok...

I've at least managed to install opendcp 0.17 on a newly installed ubuntu.

Using the same mxf files I created yesterday on windows, the xml files look correct : length file ok, kind ok.

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
I too would appreciate keeping the command line tools available as i have written a gui that generates batch files for the image manipulation and am in the process of  incorporating OpenDCP for the mxf and xml stages of the process. My gui allows the previewing of frames for cropping and resizing of the source material. E.G converting an HDcam stream shot as scope into a proper scope DCP. And the conversion of a DCP back into RGB bit-mapped images and mono wav files. Can be quite useful if you need to make changes to an already completed un-encrypted DCP such as during a film festival etc.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
The biggest issue with the command line is the XML portion where the numerous options can get complex in regard to reels annotations, offsets, durations, etc. Its one those things that is easier to do in a GUI, but not so much on the command line.

Cineman, sounds like you have a nice GUI going. What are you using? I'm using Qt4 for OpenDCP's.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »