Please login or register. December 14, 2018, 09:24:35 AM

Author Topic: DCP tiff sequence limit?  (Read 7617 times)

robmaas

DCP tiff sequence limit?
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
Hi,

This is my first try in making a DCP. The test worked out fine, but now I have a problem exporting a tiff image sequence both from QuickTime Pro as from Final Cut, it get stuck at a third of the film, the film length is 90 minutes. The tiffs are 5mb each (total 800gb). Anyone had this problem and solved it? Does it has to do with a max file limit in a Mac folder?, 90 minutes equals about 125.000 tiffs. Or is it just the length of the film that causes the problem?

Option is to export the film in 3 reels of each 30 minutes en put all the tiffs back in one folder and change the numbers so they are sequenced.

The planned workflow goes through OpenDCP, but right now I am stuck at creating the tiffs. Suggested solutions are very welcome at this time.

Thanks,
Rob

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DCP tiff sequence limit?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
Rob, I'll assume you do exports from Quicktime Pro and FCP regularly? That would rule out a timeline with (inadvertently) only 1 third of the material selected for export.

It's probably not storage either, yes?

Are you using some plugin/codec gate that might be length/size limited in its trial version? Recent changes in your plugin/codecs infrastructure?

robmaas

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply.

I still have no idea on the limit, it seems to get stuck around 65.000 frames both from FCP and QT PRo. I have now exported 3 reels of 45.000 frames each (30 minutes), after that I renamed the files so they are sequenced with http://renamer.com/ - exporting each reel took 4 hours and renaming took me one hour, now I am converting to JPEG-2000, seems like this workflow works, so hope I can help anyone with sharing this info.

Rob

actpower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
There IS a limit of 65000 files in a single folder in HFS drives. HFS+ file system don´t have these limits.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
Hm :) HFS was introduced in 1985 -- pretty much when I got this awesome piece of gear which couldn't even run HFS iirc -- and replaced in 1998. Noone is using HFS. Rob, tell us you're not ... <duck>

robmaas

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
Definitely not, also when replacing the 3x45.000 frames back in one folder (total 135.000) it wasn't a problem too.

robmaas

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:49 AM »
It worked, so far that I could get it to work in EasyDCP player, this afternoon going to check in the theatre.

Little problem at the end, the XML-creation, when pressing the 'Create DCP' button OpenDCP hung so I had to make the XML's by hand. Anyone had this problem with the latest OSX build of OpenDCP?

Thanks,
Rob

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
How long did you wait? If you have a large files, it can take several minutes to calculate the hashes. It also takes time to copy the files, if you selected a different destination directory from the where the MXF files were.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:31:41 AM »
I'm a tad worried about work I have coming up with an enormous, uncompressed Quicktime file, over 1TB in size. Am I in for any problems? Please tell me that my 3TB storage drive will be enough to hold the file in question and the tiffs/j2ks! Also, is ffmpeg (or anything else) going to be able to manipulate this file successfully?

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64-bit, with 7.7 GiB of RAM on a Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8 . Seem enough?

Related question: do uncompressed videos produce larger image files? Just curious.

Muhamad Taufiq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »
Of course uncompressed produce larger files than compressed, but there shouldn't be much if any difference in terms of file sizes between the uncompressed formats (e.g. Quicktime uncompressed and TIFF sequence).

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »