Please login or register. December 14, 2018, 09:42:27 AM

Author Topic: Getting the DCP onto an appropriate drive...  (Read 48954 times)

drmrr

• View Profile
Re: Getting the DCP onto an appropriate drive...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
Do you have an idea on how to change from "root" to "userxy" on openSUSE? I already tried "chown" but it said I had no permission to change permissions.

Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R userxy:userxy mounted_disk_root_path
should help.

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
If there is a way I can get that DCP on the drive anyhow, I wouldn't change the permissions.. Just want to be able to copy it to the drive and let the booth manager play it.

Hi,

I think you go in a wrong way by changing permissions on the hard drive.
DCPs disks should always be owned by root by default as the DCP files on it (and 775 for permissions).
It's designed for protect files to not be altered by anyway if people try to mount the hard drive on a computer (.hidden files for example who generate issues on SmartJog it seems).
The only think to do is making all operations on the disk as root (with sudo).

Now for the copy, i suggest to copy files from CLI with rsync + checksum verification, not from your desktop interface (gnome, kde, lxde, etc).
If you go this way, you just have to make the operation as root (with sudo) and you don't need to mess with the hard drive ownership/permission.
This is how i copy all my DCPs on hard drives:
sudo rsync -rvhc --progress MY_DCP_FOLDER /media/MY_HARD_DRIVE/Note the DCP folder don't finish with a slash when the hard drive folder finish with one. It's important or you will copy all the files directly into the hard drive and not into a folder on the hard drive !
After, just verify (with ls -l) than the DCP folder is 775 or chmod it (sudo chmod -R 775 /media/YOUR_HARD_DRIVE/YOUR_DCP_FOLDER)

Until now I never got any issues with the DCPs i copied this way.

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:28 AM »
Hi,

thank you for the information. I'll try this process next week.

Also thank you for offering such a nice website (freedcp.net). It's pretty useful.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
Anyone know if ext4 works for any of the commercial servers out there?

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 05:09:12 AM »
Anyone know if ext4 works for any of the commercial servers out there?

I don't know as i never tried, but the DCI spec. says it should be ext2/ext3:
The distribution media partition shall be formatted in either the EXT2 or the EXT3 format. When the file system is formatted, the inode size shall be set to 128 bytes.
http://www.isdcf.com/ISDCF/DiscFormat.html

Now as a personnal point of view, i would say avoid ext4.
It's a "new" file system and you can't be sure every servers will handle it correctly, specially the old one or the one running on Windows (GDC?) who have to use a "driver" (like ext3fsd) for reading linux drives.

Polona

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
The LMS console that Christie puts together for GDC (and almost certainly for other brands of servers) is Windows-based, and won't accept DCPs on ext3 hard drives. You have to go to the individual houses' servers to ingest ext3. NTFS (or FAT32, I suppose) at the LMS.

I'm not making this up. I have no reason to lie or spread false information. Just sharing what I've learned and experienced.

NTFS is not DCI. The hard drive must be formatted ext2 or ext3 according to the DCI. If the LMS is not accepting DCI formatted ext2/ext3 disks, you should contact the provider and the device might need an update.

I work a lot for film festival and we are experiencing big problems with disks formatted in a wrong way with wrong permissions.
When it's not DCI, it might work at the local theatre but it might not work somewhere else, so make sure it is according to DCI.

Right. CRUs are way overrated, overpriced and overweight. You need them only if you are going to write tens of HDDs simultaneously in HDD duplicator. Otherwise USB3 portable disk is cheaper and more robust (and survives more stress in transporting; I've seen 3.5'' HDD broken in delivery even in protective cases but none of portable 2.5'' ones).

Small usb disks are not better than cru. At a festival when you have to load 200 DCPs it costs ages to copy via USB.
Please, if you have a chance and budget, use a cru for sending to festivals or at least buy a faster disk that also has esata connection.
Taking care the DCPs are not waaay to big is also very appreciated. I saw a feature 2D 2K DCP that was 250GB, more than twice as much as an average feature film. It took hours to load it!

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »
NTFS is not DCI. The hard drive must be formatted ext2 or ext3 according to the DCI. If the LMS is not accepting DCI formatted ext2/ext3 disks, you should contact the provider and the device might need an update.

Small usb disks are not better than cru. At a festival when you have to load 200 DCPs it costs ages to copy via USB.
Please, if you have a chance and budget, use a cru for sending to festivals or at least buy a faster disk that also has esata connection.
Taking care the DCPs are not waaay to big is also very appreciated. I saw a feature 2D 2K DCP that was 250GB, more than twice as much as an average feature film. It took hours to load it!

I've been formatting all of my thumb drives and large portables in NTFS and have yet to have a problem anywhere. Look, it's simple: Linux systems are smart enough and flexible enough to deal with NTFS. Windows... not so much. You have to prepare for idiocy like Microsoft's and others. Sometimes if the thumb drive is large enough I will have dual partitions with dupes on both. The NTFS partition has never failed.

walterlionguy

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Polona is actually right.  You really don't want to be always using a file system that is not officially supported by DCI.  Sure its true that the majority of DCI servers today will read NTFS but you could still run into a server running an old FW version that may not read NTFS.  Besides that, NTFS itself as a filesystem is kinda lousy if you ask me.  It has no journaling and therefore is prone to fragmentation, especially when the drive gets filled in the ~80%+ range.  At my theatre every single film I have ever seen by a reputable distributor has used ext2/ext3 formatted drives.

The only times I have honestly seen NTFS commercially used for DCP's are when we receive low budget films, which are usually just on small external USB3 drives.

As for the external USB3 drives, I try to avoid them for speed sake right now.  It's by no means fast waiting for 200+GB DCP's to load over USB2.0 and unfortunately that seems to be the case as USB3 isn't really supported in the DCI world yet.  I don't imagine that DCI will ad USB3 in their specification, but will just wait for the motherboard manufacturers to just start adding it themselves more as time moves on.  Similar to how USB2.0 slowly replaced USB1.1 back in the day.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
The DCI does not specify any drive format... or transport mechanism for that matter. NTFS is as DCI compliant as EXT3, however in practice, EXT3 is most common primarily due to the use of linux based servers.

drmrr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
NTFS itself as a filesystem is kinda lousy if you ask me.  It has no journaling and therefore is prone to fragmentation

You are wrong in all possible ways. NTFS has pretty robust journaling in fact. And fragmentation is not a thing that is related to journaling in any way.

Also, the majority of drives "in the wild" from big distributors and studios are EXT2, not EXT3. No journaling in sight at all.

All current cinema servers with more-or-less current firmware read EXT and NTFS without a hitch. And singe it is as easy to access EXT drive under Windows as NTFS drive under Linux I think this is a non-issue now.

Also all USB3 frives are as perfectly accessible for cinema servers as their USB2 counterparts since USB2 signal compatibility is required and maintained for every USB3 device in the world.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 01:18:14 AM »
And singe it is as easy to access EXT drive under Windows as NTFS drive under Linux I think this is a non-issue now.
I think it very soon will be. However, there are still some old servers out there being rented out for screenings, festivals and special events that have not been upgraded regularly, perhaps never were and never will be. So it's still somewhat of an issue, probably for the next year or two at least.

And by the way, I'm on a brand new Windows 7 64-bit system at work with all of the bells and whistles installed on it, and it's not capable of mounting an ext3 thumb drive, at least not yet. Linux can mount almost anything OotB. Windows cannot. That's really my only point.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:01:15 AM by hdvprojection »

walterlionguy

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:05 AM »
Also all USB3 frives are as perfectly accessible for cinema servers as their USB2 counterparts since USB2 signal compatibility is required and maintained for every USB3 device in the world.

When did anyone here mention a capability problem?  Of course it's backwards compatible with v2/1.1.  It's just really slow over USB2 when you have big files to copy.

somewhoo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
Because most commercial servers are linux based machines as already someone mentioned, best way is to maintain three things:
-partition table must be MBR
-inode size should be 128, and
-drive should be ext3 file system
I've got many DCP packed and I try to do it only like this and I didn't had any problems or complains with it.. So I do it in linux (open suse) following these steps:
-plug new disk (usb2/3 (portable ones) or e-sata (CRU))
-open GPrated (install it from online repo)
-check witch disk drive is new one, in my case it's sdd (I've got two internal disks, sda and sdb with one partitions per drive (sda1 and sdb1)
-deleted default partition (deleted sdd1 wich is default partition witch is external portable drive formatted by default), apply changes in GParted
-make default partition table for empty drive and make it MBR
-make new partition and set format to ext3 (leave all settings default)
-apply changes in GParted and when format is complete close it
-open terminal as root (type sudo su and again type your pass and hit enter)
-format that partition again but this time set inode size to 128 (type mkfs.ext2 -j -I 128 /dev/sdd1 and hit enter)
-now mount your partition with sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/disk and make directory for your dcp with sudo mkdir /mnt/disk/dcp
-make permissions for that directory so that you can write to it with sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/disk/dcp
-copy dcp files (assets) to that directory
-and when copying finishes make that directory read only and executable with this command chmod -R 755 /mnt/disk/dcp
-and last step unmount disk with sudo umount /mnt/disk

Ofcourse make changes in commands with appropriate disk device name (in my case is "sdd1" for partition and "sdd" for disk drive..
And if you can't or wont install linux box you can use GParted live cd from
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.phpMore info
http://www.isdcf.com/ISDCF/DiscFormat.htmlcredits, lost source :(

Best :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:39:26 PM by somewhoo »

edzus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »
normally the format is ext3. If you dont have linux to preformat drive or just dont want to do it yourself, you can find dcp different submition standarts here: http://www.span.com/feature/DCP__kits_line___CRU__data__port__cinema__pack~1293

edzus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 05:31:28 AM »
normally the format is ext3. If you dont have linux to preformat drive or just dont want to do it yourself, you can find dcp different submition standarts here: http://www.span.com/feature/DCP__kits_line___CRU__data__port__cinema__pack~1293

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 05:31:28 AM »