Please login or register. November 13, 2018, 03:31:56 PM

Author Topic: Digital Leaders  (Read 6651 times)

Cineman

• View Profile
Digital Leaders
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »
Hi Terrence,

I notice that the likes of Deluxe and Technicolor put heads and tails on their dcp reels and also sync pips on the audio files. Then specify in points and duration in the CPL so these heads and tails don't appear on screen. Is there a good reason for doing this? Is this something we should adopt as well? Is there a switch on Opendcp_xml to set the in point and duration or does one just have to edit the resulting XML files where necessary.

How is the subtitle and encryption features coming along I’m eagerly awaiting these additional features.

I Saw in another thred someone put forward the idea for an OpenDCP film festival, i have one title to put forward, a 15 minute 2D short entitled The Furred Man, i'd need to get permission from the film makers to put it forward as my role was just limited to just making the DCP.

Mike

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Leaders
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
I think some of that is just tradition from the days of film. There might be a reason for it, but I'm not able to think of one at the moment. OpenDCP has the ability to set the duration and entry points with the --entry and --duration flag, but it is a global flag, so all reels would get the same treatment.

The subtitle and encryption (minus KDM) work is done, but not tested. Getting everything to compile nicely has been an issue. Also, there are some issues on the Windows side. Once I get the Windows stuff working, I'll release these features. I have some bug fixes as well for MXF Interop XML files.

An OpenDCP film festival would be a great idea. We just need to find somebody willing to organize it and get the details worked out. Unfortunately, I'm not good at that stuff.

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »
Hmm in reality each reel would be a different length so I guess manual in points  and duration would be required if the essence still had leaders attached. I made a few other enquiries and apparently the essence are supplied this way by the dubbing theatre so the audio can be synced up to the picture easily. But as you say, I think its more like a tradition from working with film. Since if pic and audio both start at frame 0 then it will be in level sync no matter what. though a great big visual Que is reassuring.

If you would like me to do some beta testing with regards the encryption and subtitling, that would be fine. I  have access to our DSP100's pretty much anytime as long as they are not actually in use. I should be getting a Doremi DCP2000 soon too.

Have you had any experience with the new Doremi ShowVault with the IMB? Apparently on this server DCP's have to strictly comply with just the smpte standard or the DCP's wont  play, or worse not even ingest!. up till now doremi servers have been pretty tolerant of DCP's that didn't fully comply with either interop or smpte standards.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:49:14 AM by Cineman »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
Setting the entry and duration on a per essence level will be added in a future release. Yeah, any sync issues aren't anything a digital film operator is going to correct on film by film basis.

Sure, I'd appreciate any help you can do in regard to testing. What OS do you use?

I haven't heard anything about the new IMB stuff. The Doremi's have been pretty forgiving, but OpenDCP should be writing out DCPs per the specification. If not, then it is a bug and I need to fix it. :-)

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
The operating system i use is win32 - my email address is in my profile should you want to contact me directly.

chicho

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
HI Guys

First post here, amazing forum, and really good work Terence!!!.

I think having the option of using leaders is really good, you could insert color charts at the beginning/end and check that the color conversion/processing is working correctly. This is why you see the picture of a blond girl with the Kodack logo in most reel of film.

My two cents

Chicho

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
Well except the inpoints in the cpl prevent the leaders ever being shown on servers unless you unpack the dcp and make the inpoint frame 0 Of corse an mxf video player such as stereoscopic of mxf mode on easyDCP player would play the mxf file in its entirity.

GrizzlyAK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
Cineman/Terrence, is there not a way on DCP processors in theaters to manually set a custom in/out point? As you point out, it seems useless for studios to add this info, if it weren't possible to show them as needed in a theater before release.

Cheers,
Shane

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
It depends on the server/tms. Some will let you set offsets, but I wouldn't imagine it's used much.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »