Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 02:03:39 AM

Author Topic: DCP Builder  (Read 2848 times)

krazysi

DCP Builder
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone tried this prog?

http://dsplab.diei.unipg.it/software/dcp_builder

I've just started to use OpenDCP, which I find to be very good. Just wondering what else people are using.

Would love to use Doremi's DCP creator.

walterlionguy

• View Profile
Re: DCP Builder
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:06 AM »
DCP Builder works, but I dislike how controlling they are in giving out unlock keys for their free software.  I never use it, but that's just me. 

If your referring to Doremi CineAsset, I would stay away from it.  I found it (the trial at least) to be buggy, and not worth the price tag on it.  But again, that's just my opinion.  The only commercial solution I found, and thought was very good was fraunhofer easyDCP Creator.  Indeed it is easy to use, and encodes very fast.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
If your referring to Doremi CineAsset, I would stay away from it.  I found it (the trial at least) to be buggy, and not worth the price tag on it.  But again, that's just my opinion.  The only commercial solution I found, and thought was very good was fraunhofer easyDCP Creator.  Indeed it is easy to use, and encodes very fast.

I agree. CineAsset was very unstable. Honestly, most of the commercial applications are quite disappointing, especially given the cost. However, of them, I would say EasyDCP is the most reliable that I have used.

krazysi

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be sticking with OpenDCP.  I can't afford the commercial progs.  Managed to build some slides and make a clip using some upscaled DVD content using OpenDCP :) 

walterlionguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
Looks like another success story!  Hats off to Terrence again for this awesome program!

Something I just thought of now that this topic was brought up -  I might be wrong on this, but I think most of the bigger movie studios probably don't even use any of those commercial applications that we can buy.  I think they rather just pay a company to write them their own internal DCP packaging program.  Look at Tangled which Disney made.  They spent 260 million on that movie alone.  Paying a company to develop and support their own DCP packaging program would be pocket change for them.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
I might be wrong on this, but I think most of the bigger movie studios probably don't even use any of those commercial applications that we can buy.

Sorta, the studios send their DCDM content to Technicolor or Deluxe to create and distribute the DCPs and any security keys. Technicolor/Deluxe use something like DVS Clipster or maybe CineCert's system.

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
There is another no open-source production software able to directly export from rushs to DCP called Mist / Rain from Marquise Tech.
http://www.marquise-tech.com/products.html

It's designed to work as a Window's software solution or a couple of hardware/software sold with a special encoding computer (with a Barco encoding card, CUDA, RAID, etc..)
They are actually working on KDM generation integrate into their software.

I know them, as they come in our theater for testing & validate their software and the DCPs they make from, on our equipment (Barco DP2k / Dolby DSS200).

riodr

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
I've been using CineAsset for 6 months now. I must say that I am very happy with it.

The only problem I've had is occasionally the audio it produces is sped up, twice as fast as it should. It happens once in every dozen or so DCPs I make. It does have a feature where you can replace your audio tracks even after the DCP has been made. So I just take the original audio and dub it back it, takes just a minute to do. Otherwise, I would say I've had minimal problems and the software is quite stable

Then again, this is the only program I've used to make DCPs, so I really have nothing to compare it to  :)

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »