Please login or register. November 14, 2019, 04:58:43 PM

Author Topic: Cinemaslides - first Open Source solution to create an encrypted DCP  (Read 30545 times)

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
Hello to all members of forum!

Has anybody attempted to use Cinemaslides of Wolfgang Woehl to create an encrypted DCP? He has written his comments how to use it:
 https://github.com/wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools/wiki/Cinemaslides-Usage and  it is clearly for advanced programmers. But it is not for usual PC users like me.

In my opinion, it is necessary more detailed instruction how to use: where to download software components that are required to start the programme, how to set parameters, etc. Many of us have not an experience with Ruby language therefore the detailed instruction will be appreciated.

The encryption feature is very important for low budget film projects of independent filmmakers and I hope your help.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cinemaslides - first Open Source solution to create an encrypted DCP
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
Encryption and KDMs are a complicated matter period, even if there was a free application with a simple interface. You need to collect the digital server certificate of every server you want your content to play on, which is no easy task in itself. You then need to generate your own digital certificate chain and use that to sign your DCP and generate the KDM, which you then need to distribute.

I know everybody thinks encryption is very important, but unless you are distributing your content to a lot of locations, then the risk of misuse is low. How many people encrypted their DVDs, HD-CAM, Blu-Ray, etc when they deliver their content to venues? Those are much easier methods to duplicate and abuse.

I've mentioned this before, but the need for KDMs is over stated for the typical independent film maker and I would think there are other priorities to be concerned with first.

Having said that, it is possible, but there is no Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 guide that I am aware of. I would suggest reading Wolfgang's Wikis and absorbing as much you can. Once you understand the process, understanding the tools becomes a lot easier.

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »
Dear Terrence,

First of all, many thanks for the GUI of OpenDCP. A process of DCP creation becames easy. Your programme is very useful.

Of course, encryption and KDMs are the difficult part for undertanding. It is a difficult task itself, even if there was a free application with a simple interface. But the interface is not simple - it is an additional obstacle on the way.

Not long ago many of us used the Opencinematools project to create DCP and the process was not seeming simple for newbies. I converted my stereoscopic demo reel "Titles" into DCP accordingly the project. Now I shall be try the Cinemaslides. But I am not sure that I shall be able to start the programme.

I understand the process but I am not understand  the tools. My first programs into Ruby have started successfully but I have not understood how to launch the Cinemaslides. That is why I am asking other people.

Of course, I value highly the work of Wolfgang Woehl and I am trying to understand but a detailed instruction is needed...

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:25:06 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm not much help in the KDM aspect. I used Wolfgang's tools some time ago to generate test KDMs and I don't recall it being overly difficult, but it is a matter of knowing which knobs to turn and there are quite a few. Wolfgang is the person you want to learn from and hopefully he'll drop by and give some input.

You should be be able start with

Code: [Select]
macbook-pro$ ruby cinemaslides.rb
or if you set the executable bit, you should be able to invoke it directly

macbook-pro$ ./cinemaslides.rb
Does that work, at least to give some help or usage information? I do believe it requires Ruby Gems and a few more additional tools, such as asdcp-test, openjpeg, etc.

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:26 AM »
I use Windows XP sp2.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
Vladimir, the problem at hand is probably setting up the required environment -- your ruby installation, required tools etc. Once that's done actually running cinemaslides is considered easy by the masses of users (like the ~10 I've heard back from :). I'll be writing a wiki page with installation notes. That should ease the pain.

Be aware that cinemaslides' encryption and KDM generation is proof-of-concept: It works and all but it's not the way you will want to do it in production.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Vladimir, did you download the Ruby interpreter? If not, you can find a windows installer here...

http://rubyinstaller.org/

Once installed, you'll have a shortcut to a command prompt that is ready to run Ruby.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:57:48 AM by Terrence Meiczinger »

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
I have installed the rubyinstaller-1.9.3-p125.exe and a command prompt is ready to run Ruby.  Simple programs like "HelloWorld!"and "Hello Vlad!" are started properly.

Also, I have interactive Ruby.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
Vladimir, while you're at it you'll need Git for Windows to clone the repository and keep up-to-date. The installer will offer a couple of options to tweak but you want to accept the defaults here. From the main windows menu run "Git Bash" to get a terminal, cd to wherever you'll want to put the repo and say
git clone git://github.com/wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools.git

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
Dear Wolfgang,

I donload your folder digital_cinema_tools to my PC to C:\Documents and Settings\User

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:48 AM »
Please use git to clone the repository. That's very different from copying. Mandatory.

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:00:33 AM »
I followed your instruction. I launched the Git Bash and black window appeared. I entered manually your string:

git clone git://github.com/wolfgangw/digital_cinema_tools.git

and I have the folder digital_cinema_tools (138 MB) as a result in C:\Documents and Settings\User

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »
Dear Wolfgang,

I re-installed Ruby with rubyinstaller-1.9.2-p290.exe because the version 1.9.3-p125 is bad.

That is why it is very important to point exactly what version of software components must be installed.

# Requires:
# ruby (1.8.7 or later), gem, bash (install your distribution's packages)
# asdcplib (including asdcp-test and kmuuidgen, http://www.cinecert.com/asdcplib/)
# ImageMagick, MPlayer, SoX (install your distribution's packages)
# OpenJPEG (http://code.google.com/p/openjpeg/downloads/list) or Kakadu
# (see the note on Kakadu's terms of use below)
# highline (gem install highline)
# nokogiri (gem install nokogiri, requires ruby-dev, libxml2-dev)
# For encrypted essence DCPs:
# asdcplib's kmrandgen
# For signed DCPs and KDM mode (KDM mode is work in progress, expect bugs and flying saucers):
# xmlsec1 (http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/)
# openssl (standard cli interface, install your distribution's package)

If it possible, please, more about components that are required.

For example:
What is gem, what do you mean?
Is the Git Bash program able as bash?

It is only the first string...

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
Like I said, I'll write an installation guide when I find the time. In the meantime feel free to search and research a bit on your own. No harm in that, right?

Vladimir Klimov

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
Dear Wolfgang,

I and independent filmmakers over the world are waiting impatiently for the installation guide.  Many thanks in advance for this important work!

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »