Please login or register. November 16, 2018, 06:59:08 PM

Author Topic: Ripping festival trailer DVD to DCP (ultimately)  (Read 23990 times)

hdvprojection

• View Profile
Ripping festival trailer DVD to DCP (ultimately)
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:17:47 AM »
OK, so here's the deal. I'm projecting for a film festival, and the festival trailer reel DVD they have given me is positively atrocious. It's 4:3 (everything else we are showing is 16:9 or 16:9 wide). It's not even 720x480 from what I can tell just glancing at it... looks more like it was shot on someone's phone. It's autoplay with the title card and color bars in front, all one file, so no way to bypass that except either to douse it manually or pause after the color bars.

And finally, it's DVD. I have to play it, then switch macro channels on the NEC projector, and also switch audio inputs so that I can then run the actual features off the Doremi server. It's awkward and unprofessional, to put it as mildly as I can.

On to my proposed solution. I'm on Ubuntu Linux. I can easily rip the DVD and edit the resulting video file so as to crop out the title card and color bars, using either Pitivi or Avidemux. I also have WinFF at my disposal if there is some further conversion that needs to take place. But to what file format(s) do I in fact need to save the resulting video file?

Finally, how do I use opendcp to produce my final d-cinema packages? I glanced at it briefly, and it seemed fairly intuitive. Any tips or tricks?

Quality is not an issue here, nor is there any proprietary/DRM/HDCP obstacle. I just need to produce a DCP asap. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
Re: Ripping festival trailer DVD to DCP (ultimately)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
Already figured one bit out: Pitivi exports to .mxf. However, opendcp doesn't seem to like the resulting file.
Code: [Select]
The selected file is not a valid MXF picture track.Obviously, for the purposes of DCinema, the video file needs to adhere to certain parameters. So now the question is: what parameters? Thanks.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
Tried conforming to all DCP specifications while rendering with Pitivi. No luck. The one thing that sticks out is that Pitivi doesn't offer uncompressed audio as an output option. I believe wav is where it's at, but no wav option, only A-Law, AAC, several FFMPEGs and several LAMEs.

Any ideas? Should I be posting in the Pitivi forum instead?

walterlionguy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:48:07 AM »
Hi There,

The first step here is to get your image sequence generated (TIFF or DPX).  You load this sequence into OpenDCP for JPEG2000 encoding, and then have your final JPEG2000 sequence wrapped into MXF by OpenDCP, no need to do this separately.  Normally I use avisynth imagewriter to generate the TIFF images from a video stream, but an easier solution I think is to use Adobe Premiere or Apple Quicktime to generate the TIFF sequence (or so I hear, iv never installed Quicktime but everyone tells me it does this).  OpenDCP can resize the images for you to DCI spec in the encoding process.

Do you have access to adobe audition?  Its my preferred tool for this sort of thing.  You could use it to convert some of those formats you mentioned to 24bit WAV, and it can also change your audio length accordingly as your DCP framerate will need to be 24fps (your dvd is most likely currently at 23.976fps).  The audio and video will not sync up properly unless you do this.  I can easily help you with the time calculations.  Remember that you need to have separate mono WAV files to import in OpenDCP.

First work on the image sequence. 
Once that is out of the way, do the audio.  You need a tool for this, if you don't have access to Audition I can try and help you find an alternative.

Walter

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »
MXF is merely a container format which can contain picture and sound essences of many different types. In the case of digital cinema it needs to be Jpeg2000 meeting digital cinema specifications. The audio is contained in a separate MXF file as uncompressed24-bit 48khz PCM wav container files.

Walter is pointing you in the right direction.

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
Okay, you've lost me. I can't just generate an MXF file from the original video? I did get Pitivi to behave finally, by the way, all but the uncompressed audio.

I'm on Ubuntu, so some of the commercial options are limited. I can theoretically run them all via virtual box or wine or such, but results tend to be sketchy.

I'm going to research Linux options for image sequence. Thanks for the reply, and please keep helping. :)

OK, just saw Terrence's reply. Pitivi did allow me to set parameters that to the untrained eye looked very much in compliance with DCP... Jasper JPEG2000 image codec, 24fps, 1998x1080 "Flat" aspect, 24-bit sample depth at 48KHz sample rate, etc. What you're saying is the underlying structure within the mxf container is still not JPEG2000? What gives?

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Just found this: http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2

Looks like I have my work cut out for me, but a 90-second festival trailer should be just the thing to try the process out on.

Edit: OK, wait. Let's assume I have a DVD-quality VOB file ripped from the disc, fest.vob. I also have an edited AVI file (with the color bars and such cut out), fest.avi. Can someone give me an ordered list of steps to produce a DCP, or at least a functioning MXF?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:22:28 AM by hdvprojection »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:43 AM »
OK, just saw Terrence's reply. Pitivi did allow me to set parameters that to the untrained eye looked very much in compliance with DCP... Jasper JPEG2000 image codec, 24fps, 1998x1080 "Flat" aspect, 24-bit sample depth at 48KHz sample rate, etc. What you're saying is the underlying structure within the mxf container is still not JPEG2000? What gives?

There a tons of options and variations of JPEG2000 and Jasper does not create digital cinema compliant JPEG2000. In addition the MXF files must also meet digital cinema specifications. This is why it is better to use a separate tool for the DCP process whose sole purpose is to make DCPs. I know it is tempting to shortcut the process by going direct to MXF or whatever, but unfortunately this is going to lead to more headaches and confusion. You must also create separate audio and picture MXFs.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Edit: OK, wait. Let's assume I have a DVD-quality VOB file ripped from the disc, fest.vob. I also have an edited AVI file (with the color bars and such cut out), fest.avi. Can someone give me an ordered list of steps to produce a DCP, or at least a functioning MXF?

Regardless of your original source, it needs to get to the same point....

8/16/24-bit TIFF or DPX image sequence (24, 25, 30, etc fps... so you may need to rate conform)
24-bit 48khz PCM audio files (1 mono wav per channel)

Once you have that... OpenDCP can do the rest.

http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/wiki/Documentation

walterlionguy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »
What Terrence is implying is that MXF is a container, nothing else.  Its used to store many different types of media formats (in this case JPEG2000), hence the name 'Material eXchange Format'.

I would strongly recommend leaving all MXF sound+video wrapping here to OpenDCP.   The only things you need are 24bit WAV files and TIFF/DPX images to put into OpenDCP.

If you need this done fast, it would hep to get a windows session running in virtualbox or vmware with one of those programs I mentioned (adobe premiere will have this ready quickly by itself).  Also keep in mind the hard drive size you will need to store these pictures.  12 minutes of uncompressed flat 1998x1080 TIFF files @ 24fps should easily exceed 100gb.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
FFmpeg will do the job pretty easily. This post is outdated in some regards, but the section on FFmpeg still holds true...

http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 03:44:26 AM »
Had a problem right away with FFmpeg:

ffmpeg -y -i sample.mp4 -an -r 24 -vcodec tiff tif/%06d.tif
ffmpeg version 0.7.3-4:0.7.3-0ubuntu0.11.10.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the Libav developers
  built on Jan  4 2012 16:21:50 with gcc 4.6.1
  configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3-0ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-shared --disable-static
  WARNING: library configuration mismatch
  avutil      configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  avcodec     configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  avformat    configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  avdevice    configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3-0ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  avfilter    configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3-0ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  swscale     configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  postproc    configuration: --extra-version='4:0.7.3ubuntu0.11.10.1' --arch=i386 --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdirac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libdc1394 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-ffmpeg --disable-ffplay
  libavutil    51.  7. 0 / 51.  7. 0
  libavcodec   53.  6. 0 / 53.  6. 0
  libavformat  53.  3. 0 / 53.  3. 0
  libavdevice  53.  0. 0 / 53.  0. 0
  libavfilter   2.  4. 0 /  2.  4. 0
  libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
  libpostproc  52.  0. 0 / 52.  0. 0

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1073741824.00 (1073741824/1) -> 24.00 (24/1)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'sample.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42mp41isomiso2
    creation_time   : 2012-03-19 07:28:54
  Duration: 00:00:29.37, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1952 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p, 1998x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 37:20], 1818 kb/s, 24 fps, 24 tbr, 2400 tbn, 1073741824.00 tbc
    Metadata:
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 127 kb/s
    Metadata:
[buffer @ 0x93849c0] w:1998 h:1080 pixfmt:yuv420p
Output #0, image2, to 'tif/%06d.tif':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42mp41isomiso2
    encoder         : Lavf53.3.0
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: tiff, yuv420p, 1998x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 37:20], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 90k tbn, 24 tbc
    Metadata:
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press ctrl-c to stop encoding
[image2 @ 0x9378480] Could not open file : tif/000001.tif
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Input/output error

Made sure to keep it all easy by naming the file "sample.mp4". And yes, it is an actual mp4, I didn't just change the extension. Although the codec used is H.264 / AVC, not sure if that makes any difference.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »
ffmpeg -y -i sample.mp4 -an -r 24 -vcodec tiff tif/%06d.tif
[image2 @ 0x9378480] Could not open file : tif/000001.tif
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Input/output error

Apparently the "tif" directory you intend to write to doesn't exist.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
Thanks Wolfgang. There was a typo in my command. If you were following the guide, the directory you created in the previous step was "tiff" not "tif".

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »
So, a whole lot of good news and progress, and one (hopefully) final bump:
The duration of all MXF tracks must be the same.I produced the audio track using exactly the command provided
ffmpeg -y -i sample.mp4 -acodec pcm_s24le -r 24 -ar 48000 audio/sample.wavI just made sure to switch out the file names for the correct ones. Any ideas? Try again, or edit it the wav with something like audacity?

By the way, thank you, thank you, thank you to all. You guys are good.    :)

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »