Please login or register. June 19, 2018, 12:40:39 PM

Author Topic: Problems ingesting still image advertisement into GDC SX2001  (Read 9392 times)

greg nelson

Problems ingesting still image advertisement into GDC SX2001
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
Hello,

I've set up some still image cinema ads using photoshop.

THe cinema I am working with has a new GDC SX2001 server. And we are having many troubles ingesting the ad files.

Things I have tried so far ...
Download open DCP and convert jpeg 2000 file. That gave me a file called 11175-RAY-ADV-02-12.j2c
I tried looking up the naming conventions and changed the name to RAYWHITE_ADV_C_2K - doesn't seem to be any info out there on naming conventions for still ads.
The manufacturer and distributor don't seem to know much. Except the distributor said I have to have 4 files.

I'm a print and web designer, so new to cinema and very lost! If anybody can help me get my ad to be ingested, i'd be very thankful!

regards,
Greg

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems ingesting still image advertisement into GDC SX2001
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Hello,

I've set up some still image cinema ads using photoshop.

THe cinema I am working with has a new GDC SX2001 server. And we are having many troubles ingesting the ad files.

Things I have tried so far ...
Download open DCP and convert jpeg 2000 file. That gave me a file called 11175-RAY-ADV-02-12.j2c
I tried looking up the naming conventions and changed the name to RAYWHITE_ADV_C_2K - doesn't seem to be any info out there on naming conventions for still ads.
The manufacturer and distributor don't seem to know much. Except the distributor said I have to have 4 files.

I'm a print and web designer, so new to cinema and very lost! If anybody can help me get my ad to be ingested, i'd be very thankful!

regards,
Greg

There really isn't any notion of a still ad. It's really a series of the same image repeated for a certain number of frames. So, if you want to create say a 30 second "still" advertisement, you'd need to take that single image and duplicate it 720 times (assuming 24fps). You'd the create an MXF file from those images and then a DCP.

Basically, the workflow is the same as any other DCP. The only difference is that your source images happen to have the same content. However, in OpenDCP 0.25 there happens to be new feature that simplifies the process. Once you have the jpeg2000 file, you can use that single file to create an MXF file with a duration. OpenDCP will then automatically duplicate the needed number of frames. Once you have the MXF file, you continue on to make the DCP.

greg nelson

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
Thanks very much Terrence, will try that.
REgards,
Greg

greg nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »
Something worked!!!

So now I have a DCP folder with 4 xml files inside it. Do I just supply the cinema with this folder and it's 4 files inside it for ingestion?

Greg

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:12:48 AM »
I am about to create a still image DCP as well and thought I would post here, too.

I need the still image to be around 30 minutes, so I am about to copy the same file 42300 frames. Why is the still image copy mechanism in OpenDCP limited to 300 seconds only?
Does anybody know of an alternative having the same image before I start my regular movie DCP? Just need that frame for a 30 min presentation.
Or does anyone know how to copy the same file 42300 times automatically on osx?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Loki

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:22:22 AM by loki »

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
One option, probably the best, is to make a 30 minute black dummy and display your image via Subtitle track or DCSubtitle. With 30 minutes everything else is just screaming what a waste :)

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
Or does anyone know how to copy the same file 42300 times automatically on osx?

Best way is create a single j2c file from your original still image. In the folder with your original j2k file, create a new folder named j2c.

In Application Folder -> Utilities Folder -> Open Terminal -> go to the folder where your j2c file is (with the cd command) then enter this command in terminal:
Code: [Select]
for i in {00001..42300}; do cp YOUR_ORIGINAL_FILE.j2c /j2c/"$i.j2c"; doneIt will copy the original file 42300 time into the j2c folder and name them from 00001.j2c to 42300.j2c.

After that you just have to wrap them into a .mxf with OpenDCP 2nd tab. ;)

I was doing that but on linux from tiff files before encoding them to j2c prior to the "slideshow" option in OpenDCP.

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »
Wonderful. Two different interesting approaches. Thanks! When I'm taking my time to work with subtitles I'll definitely try your approach Wolfgang! I fell in love with linux though and will try the command line asap, thanks Olivier!

Do you know, why some projectionists prefer a 30min still image dcp instead of pausing a 10 sec sequence? I heard of sync issues and subtitle problems but no one could really confirm these myths...

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »
Keep in mind that 40.000 copies will require between 25 and 50 GB, depending on your source bitrate. That's a beefy setup for a 1-slide show. For the sake of completeness and don't quote me on it: If you want to avoid at least the costly setup use cinemaslides:

cinemaslides --type dcp --transition cut,1800 --dcp-out MY-30-MINUTES-SLIDE-YEAH-I-KNOW my_slide.png my_audio.wav # 1800 seconds = 30 minutes
No matter how you approach this, you will end up with a package worth between 25 and 50 GB. Booth people will just love that ingest :)

Apart from the subtitle approach there is another, even more efficient way: In principle all projectors allow upload of images, mostly used for testing purposes. These are displayed in special projector modes. If the booth is setup for it they'll be able to include the required preset changes in their show playlists. Of course, not all booths will be, I would think.

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Wonderful. Two different interesting approaches. Thanks! When I'm taking my time to work with subtitles I'll definitely try your approach Wolfgang! I fell in love with linux though and will try the command line asap, thanks Olivier!
The good thing with OsX is you already have in your system some of the unix tools with the terminal's app.
Next to that, you can look at MacPort for installing some of the linux apps not available by default.

Do you know, why some projectionists prefer a 30min still image dcp instead of pausing a 10 sec sequence? I heard of sync issues and subtitle problems but no one could really confirm these myths...
As a projectionist, I would say cause when a playlist is on "Pause", you can't automatically make it "Play" again after 30min.
I never heard or have sync/subtitle issue when putting playlist on "Pause".

freedcp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
...If you want to avoid at least the costly setup use cinemaslides...
Sorry Wolfgang,I didn't say a word about Cinemaslides cause he's asking on OsX, not on linux. Is Cinemaslides working on OsX too ? I'm interessted to know if yes !

Btw, can you confirm me please than copying (and rename then correctly from 001 to xxx) the .j2c file many time instead of the .tiff file prior to encoding is working for feeding the warping process ? There isn't a "pict number" integrate into the "j2c tag" ?

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
Is Cinemaslides working on OsX too?

Yes, cinemaslides works exactly the same on Mac OS X. Alas the digital cinema tools setup script does not yet work on OS X. So there's some manual intervention required to install it and its dependencies. Need to get that fixed one of these days.

And yes, you could create a sequence of copies, no sequence tag in j2c files.

As for the bash loop you mention to create these copies: I believe on OS X' default bash something like
for i in {00001..42300} will not do what you'd expect. The zeroes-padding won't survive substitution -- it will in a standard bash, of course.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »