Please login or register. March 22, 2019, 08:54:00 PM

Author Topic: Cinema automation  (Read 6465 times)

MaSTeRMaMay

Cinema automation
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
I'm currently developing some cheap cinema automation device (around 200$ in retail), delivering almost every function of JNIOR one. It's ethernet(optional) and/or serial controlled, modular system, has 7 outputs (in Russia it's sufficient), optional GPIO input. It's capable of daisy-chaining (so you will be able to buy one ethernet controlled module, and then chain up to 8 modules (only serial controlled - cheaper) to get more outputs), and is almost finished. It's been thoroughly tested (first alpha modules have running without any errors for several month already, RC modules - for a month and a half).

Currently I'm wondering what people would like to get from cinema automation module? I've only seen Christie ACT, JNIOR... Should the device be rack mountable? Wall mountable? More outputs in basic device?

Please consider, that these device will be kept as basic as it could be, so no dimmer control support (planned in push into another device), no SNMP, just bare input-output.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cinema automation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
Considering most digital cinema gear is rack mounted, I'd say that would be the way to go. Easy configuration would be a plus.

MaSTeRMaMay

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:23:02 AM »
But almost all light equipment we use (dimmer, etc) is not. And the board currently is far too small to put it to rack mountable case. What should be configured on device? I think all the configuration should be done on server, so...
The device I developed is based on assumption, that it'll be used in Russia, so it's minimum required functionality for our cinemas.
What would you like to configure on the device? Should the alternative content devices be controlled somehow?
If you are using any of the automation devices, I'd consider if you post your use cases.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
Ok, I can only speak of what I have seen in the US. Everything, except the light dimmer has usually been rack mounted. All of the wiring from the film projectors was already going back to the projector or existing rack. So, in many cases a Christies ACT are rack mounted on the digital projector pedestal.

Yes, by configuration, I mean a huge advantage would be able to configure and control alternative content devices, like pre-amps, blu-ray players, etc.

MaSTeRMaMay

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Are all alternative content devices IR controlled? Just by IR or anything else?
I developed the device in assumption, that everything should be controlled from the server. Also, I think everything will be going from alternative inputs to just DCP, resulting in decreasing popularity of any alternative content device used, so decreasing popularity of this option.

I think it'd be better to make simple modules, one simple and small to control curtain, lights, etc. another one for IR, another with sensors. And one digital hub for this. And, because people like rack mounted hardware - with rack option.

MaSTeRMaMay

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
I spoke today with some of our cinemas tech personal - it seems, that DMX-512 support is almost a must for dimmers, maybe anything else. I've at least 7 or even more programmable inputs, so it's fairly simple just to add an optional connector, and much more.
Should I add an option for additional remote control?

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
There doesn't seem to be much activity from equipment installers or theater owners on this site yet, hopefully that will pick up eventually. You might want to try and post this over on film-tech.com, where you'll probably get more relevant feedback.

MaSTeRMaMay

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the link ;) but any comments even by just passing by people are also good to take ;)

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »