Please login or register. November 13, 2018, 03:20:49 PM

Author Topic: Creating multiple KDMs  (Read 5802 times)

muurgsi

• View Profile
Creating multiple KDMs
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
Hi all,

first of all thanks for this forum. I've been reading posts for the last few weeks and I've learned a lot from the experience shared here.

Currently I'm looking for a solution to create multiple KDMs (one film, multiple screens) in one go.

So far I've read about Fraunhofer KMD Generator + and Qube KeySmith. Does anybody have experience with either one? Is there other software around to do this? Maybe there is even an open source soution?

To me the ideal solution would be a web-based database, accessible from anywhere by anyone with a login/password.

Any input is welcomed.

Cheers

David

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Creating multiple KDMs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
DVS's Clipster systems will generate KDMs, Doremi has a tool to do it, and there's CineCert's Wailua. Main difference between the Fraunhofer and Qube tools are Qube's management mechanisms to deal with collections of content, keys and recipients. All tools (don't know about the Clipster, though) will bulk generate KDMs, all will generate Interop and SMPTE KDMs.

There is one (as of 11/2011) open source implementation of SMPTE KDM, explicitly proof-of-concept and explicitly limited feature-wise. But it has some significant backports from the custom KDM workflow projects I've been involved in in 2011. See cinemaslides (I'm the author), GPLv3.

If one needs to bulk generate KDMs for content entrusted with there are a number of crucial requirements to meet: Verification of target certs (which requires some kind of trust management), non-cumbersome ways of managing facility info and support requests etc. It can get quite involved fast, depending on one's specific needs.

Web-based database of what?

Oh, and slap me, someone, if "bulk generate" is not even english as I'm not sure ...

muurgsi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »
Thanks for this.

I was just thinking of a database on the web that would store certificates, generated KDM and thus would allow to keep track of who has a kdm to what film. It would be ideal to access such a database/kdm generation-tool from anywhere.

I vaguely heard some production houses offer film-distributors solutions that allow them to generate their KDMs online. But as you can see I don't know much about it :-).

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »
I was just thinking of a database on the web that would store certificates, generated KDM and thus would allow to keep track of who has a kdm to what film. It would be ideal to access such a database/kdm generation-tool from anywhere.

Who runs it? How and why would you trust them? Who pays for it?
As for the keeping-track idea: Why would content owners want to share that information?

I vaguely heard some production houses offer film-distributors solutions that allow them to generate their KDMs online.

Yes, as a paid service.

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »

dcinemaforum.com