Please login or register. February 19, 2019, 03:19:15 AM

Author Topic: OpenDCP 0.20 Released  (Read 11956 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OpenDCP 0.20 Released
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:59 AM »
OpenDCP Version 0.20 is now available.

http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/downloads/list

New features

DPX
TIFF YUV/YCBCR
JPEG2000 Recovery/Resume (no overwrite option)
SMPTE MXF creation
Performance improvements
Set JPEG2000 start/end frames
Progress Bars for MXF creation
Bug fixes
Linux RPM/DEB packages

SCTPYHG

Re: OpenDCP 0.20 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:21 AM »
Good.THKS.

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:18 AM »
 :D

Is this exactly the same as the one you sent me some days ago ?

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
:D

Is this exactly the same as the one you sent me some days ago ?

I rebuilt the package, so no it is not the exact same one. However, there were no code changes, just a package rebuild.

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
Ok.

I've just noticed something. When converting into j2k from a previous conversion - overwrite box unchecked - the progress bar goes wrong.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
What do you mean?

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Found two bugs...

Firstly, when encoding 4K TIFF images and Kakadu is chosen as encoder in the dropdown menu, only 0byte files are created.
This is true with OpenDCP v0.20, both 64bit and 32bit versions (both tested... I promise).
Source: Sintel 4K TIFF source padded with black to 4K full container 4096x2160.

NOTE: Encoding 2K images works fine with Kakadu (only tried 1998x1080 and 1920x1080).
With OpenJPEG selected as encoder, it encodes fine both 2K and 4K images.

Second bug...
There is a bug wrt the start and end values (both in 'JPEG2000' and 'DCP Package').

On the JPEG2000 pane:
When I specify a Input directory with, say. 200frames, then it shows Start and End as 1 - 200.
But when I then specify a new Input directory with another number of frames, it stays at 1 - 200 without detecting the correct number of frames in the newly specified Input directory.

On the DCP Package pane:
When I specify a Input directory with a picture MXF and then chose another directory, the 'Duration' value stays at the same number of frames as the first MXF i loaded instead of detecting the correct number of frames from the newly selected MXF file.

Terrence: This could to be connected to the Issue no. 72 i submitted yesterday.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:53:43 AM by jonathanj »

Coeur Noir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Ok.

I've just noticed something. When converting into j2k from a previous conversion - overwrite box unchecked - the progress bar goes wrong.

Errr sorry my poor english.

I have 8000 images to convert from tiff to j2k.

I run a first conversion and stop it when 2000 pictures are done (in fact it has stopped because of a RAM and SWAP problem because of nautilus. That's not the point anyway...)

Later I start again the conversion, with the same input and output directories - overwrite option unchecked.

The progress bar then shows 4% - I was expecting 25% since 2000 out of 8000 pictures are already converted.

So the progress bar increasing does not match the real number of pictures being converted.

But it has worked fine and the final dcp is ok.

cinemaxav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Great update :)
But I can't seem to get it working with Kakadu. When Kakadu is chosen as the encoder, the progress bar moves fast (like 10 frames per second), and no j2c files are written. There's a small amount of cpu usage with Opendcp.exe, but no error messages.

Is there any logging? I can't seem to find any directory with logs to understand what's wrong.

System: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
Kakadu v6.4.1 downloaded from their website.
Source: 1920x1080 tiff files.

Note: the command-line versio 0.19b worked fine although I always had a file cannot be found when launching opendcp from the command line with the "e 1" switch. Kakadu is in my path.

I wonder if it's a 32bit/64bit issue: I believe version .20 of OpenDCP is 64bit and it could be that it only works with a 64bit compiled version of Kakadu?

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
But I can't seem to get it working with Kakadu. When Kakadu is chosen as the encoder, the progress bar moves fast (like 10 frames per second), and no j2c files are written. There's a small amount of cpu usage with Opendcp.exe, but no error messages.

Is there any logging? I can't seem to find any directory with logs to understand what's wrong.

Note: the command-line versio 0.19b worked fine although I always had a file cannot be found when launching opendcp from the command line with the "e 1" switch. Kakadu is in my path.

I wonder if it's a 32bit/64bit issue: I believe version .20 of OpenDCP is 64bit and it could be that it only works with a 64bit compiled version of Kakadu?

I had the same problem, but only with 4K TIFFs... Kakadu simply makes 0-bytes files.
Kakadu works fine here with 1920x1080 TIFFs using v0.20-64bit though.

Btw, there was a 32bit Windows version, but Terrence took it offline because there is a (imho) quite serious bug (see issue no. 72 on the googlecode page).

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
But I can't seem to get it working with Kakadu.

I rewrote quite a bit of OpenDCP to improve performance, but it looks like I broke a few things too. Kakadu is not officially supported (especially on Windows) and being an external tool outside of OpenDCP, I can't really be sure what is going on. It was really meant to be a place holder in case I licensed the Kakadu libraries. I've never tested the code and its kinda a bonus if it works at the moment.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »
The progress bar then shows 4% - I was expecting 25% since 2000 out of 8000 pictures are already converted. So the progress bar increasing does not match the real number of pictures being converted.

Yeah, its not ideal, but I expect this behavior for now. It has to do with the way the conversion is spread across multiple threads. The queue thinks there are 8000 images to convert, but it doesn't know which ones have been already been done. So, at the start it doesn't know that it really only needs to convert 6000 more and once the jobs have been dispersed to the threads, it has to wait a thread gets to the file to know its already been done. It's something I will cleanup in the next release.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
Btw, there was a 32bit Windows version, but Terrence took it offline because there is a (imho) quite serious bug (see issue no. 72 on the googlecode page).

Yeah... it's a very nasty bug indeed! Thanks for finding it. I'll try and get some fixes up this weekend.

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »

Yeah... it's a very nasty bug indeed! Thanks for finding it. I'll try and get some fixes up this weekend.
Cool :)

cinemaxav

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »

I had the same problem, but only with 4K TIFFs... Kakadu simply makes 0-bytes files.
Kakadu works fine here with 1920x1080 TIFFs using v0.20-64bit though.

Thanks for the update John. I'll have another download of version 0.20 in case I have a funny mixture or something.

The reason I wanted to use Kakadu was down to processing spead - I think it's faster than the built-in encoder in OpenDCP 0.19b (using the command line). If optimisations in this current version mean that any performance benefit from kakadu has been wiped out, I won't bother trying to fix kakadu on my system :)

P.S My TIFFs are 1920x1080 uncompressed and I think there's an alpha channel in there too because DCPbuilder can't work with 4channel files! Each file/frame is around 8MB

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »