Please login or register. January 24, 2019, 01:22:22 AM

Author Topic: Installing/Compiling Open Source Tools - Macintosh OS X  (Read 19563 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Installing/Compiling Open Source Tools - Macintosh OS X
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »
One of the trickiest and most frustrating parts of working with open source tools can be the compiling and installing process. This is not a familiar thing for most Mac users, but with some work it can be done. Hopefully, this guide will make things easier. This guide assumes you have some basic understanding with the Terminal application and the command line.

Development Tools
The first thing you'll need is the development tools which allow you to compile source code. Apple makes these freely available in their Xcode development toolset. You'll just need to register as a developer and download and install the SDK.

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

MacPorts
Fortunately, other people have gone through the hassle of getting a lot of open source tools to work on OS X. There are a few repositories which make the compiling and installation of these easier. Two of the more popular ones are MacPorts and Fink. We are going to use MacPorts in this guide.

Download and install MacPort application.

http://www.macports.org/

This will install a command line tool called 'port' which can be used to install almost all of the needed tools.

Even better, there is a GUI for port called Porticus available.

http://porticus.alittledrop.com/

If you want to use the command line, you'll need sudo or superuser access. If you are not familiar with this, there is plenty of information available to help you get started. Once you have sudo or superuser, to install an application, you'll need to open the Terminal application. From the command prompt:

Code: [Select]
sudo port install <package>
Whether you use the command line or Porticus, you can install the following packages:

ImageMagick
ffmpeg
openjpeg
cmake

Any dependencies and libraries needed by these will get automatically compiled and installed. Sweet.

AS-DCP
The next step is to download, compile, and install the AS-DCP library.

Download the latest source.

http://www.cinecert.com/asdcplib/

Depending on your Safari settings, you'll end up with a folder called asdcplib-xxxx , asdcplib-xxxx.tar , or asdcplib-xxxx.tar.gz file. If you have the tar or gz file just double-click on them and they should eventually extract to an asdcplib-xxxx folder.

Open the Terminal application and change to the directory where the asdcplib folder was created.

Example:
$ cd /Users/terrence/Downloads/asdcp-lib-1.6.37
Now run the configure command

$ sh configure
If this completed successfully, you are ready to compile the library.

$ make
If everything compiled, you'll have a program called asdcp-test in the src folder. Next, install the asdcp utlities.

$ sudo make install
OpenDCP
Download the latest source from:

http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/downloads/list

Prebuilt binaries are sometimes available.

Once download and unzipped, change into the directory and create the build files by running cmake. This is similar to the configure command used by autoconf.

$ cmake .
CMake will build all the necessary make files for the target platform. Once complete, issue a make command.

$ make

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:06:26 AM by Terrence »

b0nz0

Re: Installing/Compiling Open Source Tools - Macintosh OS X
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:26 PM »
This is very informative.  Can you do the same thing for a Windows 7 workflow?

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »
This is pretty outdated and things are easier now. You can download all the pre-compiled binaries from http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/downloads/list.

PatW

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
Hi Terrence,

Many thanks for all the great information you've provided about Digital Cinema.

I've compiled all of the libraries that are required by opendcp-0.19, except for one - xmlsec1. This is because when I configure it, it says that "You need at least libxml2 2.7.4 for this version of xmlsec1".

When I run xml2-config --version, it tells me I have version 2.7.3

I've tried re-installing a higher version but it seems I'm stuck on 2.7.3

Do you have any ideas about how I could move it to a higher version?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,

PatW?

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
I've compiled all of the libraries that are required by opendcp-0.19, except for one - xmlsec1. This is because when I configure it, it says that "You need at least libxml2 2.7.4 for this version of xmlsec1".

When I run xml2-config --version, it tells me I have version 2.7.3

Take a look at Nokogiri's Installation hints for Mac OS X and pick out the libxml-related parts. Also make sure to get rid of previous installation attempts.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
Is there any reason you are trying to compile yourself? All of the pre-compiled binaries are available for OSX.

When you compile and install libraries yourself on OSX, they don't typically replace the ones that come with the OS. So, you end up having multiple versions installed and xmlsec picks up the OS version first. Getting xmlsec compiled is actually quite a pain. Since it really doesn't offer much value at this point, I'd recommend just disabling it. I think is 0.19 if you do cmake -DENABLE_XMLSEC=OFF, that should do it. If you still want to compile xmlsec, there are flags you can pass that will tell it the path of the xmlsec libraries you want to link against.

Also, the source code on the github site is much easier to compile.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:44:42 PM by Terrence »

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »
I think this might suddenly be a lively thread again soon, thanks to the ffmpeg/avconv nonsense. I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 and had to compile ffmpeg, but now I can't get Audacity (my preferred audio editor) to work properly with it. Very frustrating.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »