Please login or register. December 13, 2017, 11:57:51 AM

Author Topic: separate subtitle DLP  (Read 7336 times)

aegus

separate subtitle DLP
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »
hi every one ,

Just opening a new cinema in south east asia, this will be only the second in our country, ( the distributor owns the first) , anyway we are all digital and the distributor was trying to get us to buy the equipment from them but we went with a cheaper option.

SO to cut costs the distributor supplies us a DCP with no subtitles and then they have the subtitles as a separate movie file that they project from a separate DLP as an overlay on the movie. they have a system that can sync this but they will not share this with us.

We have a dolby server and apparently there is no timecode out for this.... wondering if there is a software out there that can sync both these systems up... this is literally being able to press play at the same time ..if there is any one out there can can help or even consult on this... do let us know as my equipment supplier says they do not know how this works..

Cheers

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: separate subtitle DLP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
Hi aegus. They're most likely using an external controller which triggers simultaneous playback start via GPIO or RS-232 or ethernet. Either a cheap DIY variant or maybe a pricey NA10. That's not _synchronized_ playback, though, more like throwing 2 balls at the same time.

Unless there is absolutely no way for them to simply add the subtitles to the package this is completely nuts, too, of course :) Looks, readability, color temperature, distortion ... none of these will top "barely acceptable".

What's the country and language in question here?

aegus

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
HI Wolfgang,

Thanks for your response, we're in cambodia and the language is Khmer ,

I know it is like throwing 2 balls at the same time and the projector with the subtitles will not have the same intensity as the Christie that we are using for the feature. apparently there is absolutely no way to do this. Yes i know this is nuts.

Can you walk me through the DIY variant or if there is a separate controller that we can purchase to sync this?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Cheers

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
Hi the Dolby DSS200 does have a liner time code output its the third BNC connector below HDsdi 2, the DSP100 also has a time code output on a 9pin D connector. It outputs in hours minutes and seconds for the duration of the DCP playing.

It would be totally uneconomical to do a special DCP with Khmer subs. Film festivals use the LTC outpout to synch up a seprate subtitle projector below the screen so that a second language sububtitle can be displayed, it can also used to play a simultaionus translation/audio discription.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:31:14 AM by Cineman »

aegus

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »
HI Cineman ,

we have a DSS200-3 server will this also have the timecode output??? sorry i am a complete noob to these things... if there is what will be the controller that will sync up our DCP with the second projector/player.

Thanks in advance ,

Cheers

ShaneFrancis

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 03:39:34 AM »
Hey thanks for your conversation, glad to know all this stuff. :)

raggioverdesubs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »
Hi everybody!
I just saw your discussion regarding the separate subtitles on DCP.
We do subtitles in international festivals and we developped a system to make subtitles synchronized to the DCP and any other projection systems.
We have the solution for all this kind of problems.
We can create subtitles in any languages or we can provide systems and tools to make it by yourselves.
If you need any information don't hesitate to contact us.
Best!
Piero

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Piero, nice. Website?

raggioverdesubs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
Hi Wolfgang!
Many thanks for your reply.
The website is www.raggioverde.org but it has not been updated since long time.
I will try to make a page with information about subtitles for digital.
Best regards
Piero

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »