Please login or register. July 21, 2017, 04:50:31 PM

Author Topic: Projector vs. Monitor output  (Read 6052 times)

hdvprojection

• View Profile
Projector vs. Monitor output
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »
So, here's the problem: I'd like to have a tower connected to a Christie projector by way of an HDMI cable, and my monitor connected (most likely) by the DVI-D output. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04, no idea what the tower's specs are going to be since I'm still just seeing if this is even possible. Most likely I will be using either VLC or xine. How do I guarantee that nothing will come out of the projector besides
  • black screen
  • video file output
While at the same time allowing the monitor to show everything that is going on, all window frames, mouse pointer, etc. This needs to apply whether I am on-site with keyboard and mouse or VNC-ing my way there.

I suppose I should ask about sound output as well, but I suspect it will be much easier to control than the picture. Any ideas?

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Projector vs. Monitor output
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:26:55 AM »
Take a look at David Newman's excellent hands-on report about HD playout on commodity hardware: Film Festival in a Box

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:36 AM »
It's inspirational, but it's all Windows-based. At least I know that I can fake it by way of wine if need be, but I refuse to believe that there isn't an all SSH and VideoLAN solution here.

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:51 AM »
That's the spirit! :)

Polona

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:34:26 AM »
That's easy. VLC should do it just fine on Linux, with some tweaking.
You need to setup the displays to extended monitor mode.
And set up VLC (in the settings) so that the video goes to the 2nd screen and you keep your playlist and report windows on the 1st screen.
All these settings are there in VLC, you might need to try out different things and sometimes you need to restart VLC first to see the effect.

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
Please give a shout if you figured this out...

On my Windows box I created a bat file for starting VLC in a 'second monitor' mode like the one you describe...
It should be possible to replicate it on Linux.

I'll boot up my Ubuntu box and give it a whirl...

or not... I just remembered I don't have a second display output from my Ubuntu box :|

This is my bat script for opening VLC on Windows (I'm sure it should be possible to mod it for Linux.):

Code: [Select]
set vlcPath="%PROGRAMFILES%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
%vlcPath% %1 --video-x=-2000 --video-y=100 --fullscreen --no-embedded-video --no-video-title-show

Note: Depending on where you're second monitor is located (left/right) to your main monitor, you might need to change the '-2000' to exclude the minus symbol.

It's for a resolution of 1920x1080.
Be sure sure to use 'extended desktop' or whatever it's called in Linux.

That opens VLC on your main monitor and shows whatever footage you play on the second monitor (projector) in glorious fullscreen and with no titles, filename or play/pause icons to give away that you're using VLC.

You still have the controls and desktop on your main monitor which is very useful.

Let me know if this works... I have yet to build myself a linux box with dual display out.

Best regards,
Jonathan
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:17:36 PM by jonathanj »

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
I never did, no. This looks promising. Thank you.    :D

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »