Please login or register. March 26, 2017, 05:13:50 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OpenDCP / Best place for 23.976 to 24 conversion for DCP
« Last post by GrizzlyAK on March 25, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
I'm having a little trouble understanding what I'm seeing in Ae CS6 when importing a 23.976 fps DPX sequence into Ae using File | Adobe Dynamic Link | Import Premiere Pro Sequence.

I originally cut my footage in Pr CS6, sent it (as a 10-bit color DPX sequence) to Speedgrade CS6, where I graded it, and exported a new set of 10 bit color DPX files back out. I relinked them in Pr. I then imported that sequence into Ae using the procedure described earlier, and now have 12470 frames of 23.976 footage in my Ae project. If I do any of the following, I get a new comp at 24 fps with the same number of frames and same duration:

(1) Drop the footage onto the New Comp icon, creating a new comp that matches, then change the comp frame rate to 24
(2) Create a new blank comp at 24 fps, and drag the footage into that new comp
(3) Reinterpret the footage as 24 fps and drop it on the New Comp icon

All of these actions give me a new 24 fps comp with 12470 frames an a duration of 08:39:14, same as the footage. If I pull up all three of these new comps, and go to a particular time, say 08:00, in (1) and (2) I see the same image as in the original footage, but (3) shows me a different image, even though it shows me the same time and FRAME!

Now, if I create a new 23.976 comp and drag in the reinterpreted (24 fps) footage, and I pull up the same frame number (and time) as before, I see yet a different image. So, in all cases, if I pull up the same time and same frame number, I see different images. How can that be? I would expect the time to be off, but I would expect a frame to be a frame corresponding to a particular DPX frame in Pr making up the sequence. There are only 12470 frames in the sequence back in Pr. What am I missing here?

Also, what is the best practice (i.e., at what point and how) to convert a 23.976 project to 24 fps for DCP creation?

EDIT: So, after more testing, I've found that the 24 fps comp skips frame 999, and then again at 1999, etc. That's why the frames at the same frame number and time are different images. It re-labels the frames of the source when it eliminates the frames it must skip to maintain the overall length. I think I answered my first question, but still would like to know what workflow others use to convert 23.976 to 24.

Thanks,
Shane
OpenDCP / Re: Mastering in Rec. ITU-R BT.1886
« Last post by GrizzlyAK on March 25, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had a chance to think about it.  ;)
Digital Cinema Packages / Subtiles again... outline vs. Shadow
« Last post by vintvolt on March 24, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
Hi all,
I've always used subtitles 90% white with a black "border" effect. My EasyDCP renders the subtitle weird (too thin body), but I've never had issues across many different projector systems
Now I've had a client complain that in a particularly bright movie, scenes with completely white background, the subtitle is almost unreadable (doremi 2K system)
Since the border width is not adjustable, can you tell me if the "shadow" effect is more obvious?
thank you
Digital Cinema Packages / Re: Edit subtitles in existing DCP
« Last post by vintvolt on March 24, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Hi all, it worked! thanks for your tips
Digital Cinema Packages / How to install digital-cinema-tools in Macosx
« Last post by happytomy on March 15, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
How to install digital-cinema-tools in Macosx,THX.
OpenDCP / Re: opendcp_mxf audio
« Last post by eriklodr on March 10, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
oh snap! didn't know

many thanks

The wrapping is based on the MXF files. It will auto-detect how the MXF files were created and generate the DCP accordingly.
« Last post by Terrence Meiczinger on March 10, 2017, 07:46:21 AM »
The wrapping is based on the MXF files. It will auto-detect how the MXF files were created and generate the DCP accordingly.
« Last post by eriklodr on March 10, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »
Yeah, making MXF right.

But not for the final XML wraping/packing? I don't see any option in opendcp_xml to select that.

I see you have an option in the GUI version under "title generator". I rarley use that, all scripted.

OpenDCP does supports interop packages. By default it creates SMPTE, but you can specify interop.
« Last post by Terrence Meiczinger on March 08, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
OpenDCP does supports interop packages. By default it creates SMPTE, but you can specify interop.
« Last post by eriklodr on March 08, 2017, 05:18:29 AM »
Okey. "Problem" was that I needed to make a Interop (unfortantly) package (which opendcp can not), so I had to cut it before, and package it witn another app.

Thanks Terrence.

Setting the start frame for an audio->mxf isn't supported. You can accomplish this by setting the duration during the DCP creation stage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10