Please login or register. October 22, 2018, 02:23:26 PM

Author Topic: OpenDCP Wishlist  (Read 26633 times)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OpenDCP Wishlist
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
Most of the design and features of OpenDCP have been driven by what I needed it to accomplish. I figured it would be useful to get feedback on the features and improvements other people would like to see. In the short term, I still have plenty of things to implement, but it would certainly be helpful to the long term vision of the project.

So, feel free to toss out some ideas. We can discuss them and the ones that make the most sense to implement can get put on the enhancement list.

jonathanj

• View Profile
Re: OpenDCP Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
A few ideas from the top of my head...

- Support for an image type like BMP is something I personally would like to see implemented. DXP and PNG is already on your todo list, so I won't mention them (more than I just did).

- A feature for pausing and saving the progress, for later to be able to resume (as you've mentioned you already had an idea for).

- Make the 'filepath buttons' look in the last used folder, instead of defaulting to the 'c:/Program Files/OpenDCP' folder every time. Specially useful when you're doing many small tests.

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »
- Make the 'filepath buttons' look in the last used folder, instead of defaulting to the 'c:/Program Files/OpenDCP' folder every time. Specially useful when you're doing many small tests.

Yeah, this one drives me nuts too.

NicoInattendu

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Have a DCP player for unencrypted one ?  To have a preview of what is generated. 

MrHawk

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »
I can think of the subtitle part, I would be very happy to see the xml subtitle feature when creating DCP and yes I'm lazy but is there any chance of a function that builds a complete DCP, encode mxf wrapping and xml packaging all in one? I think it would be usefull. 

jonathanj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »

Yeah, this one drives me nuts too.

This actually does work on both the 'MXF Creator' and the 'DCP Package' pages. It seems it's only on the 'JPEG2000' page it doesn't work. Just doublechecked.

neil richards

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »
A save function to store often-used package set-ups would be really helpful

neil richards

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »
Just a thought, but would it be possible to provide an option to provide a single path for both left and right stereoscopic input (and output) files instead of having to explicitly put both in every time?

I appreciate this might impose some constraints or conventions (both files in a subdirectory, for instance, or same filename with "left" and "right" or somesuch) and so may not work for everyone.

Bit of a lazy request but since most 3D files are often co-located and usually (almost) identically named for the sake of data management if nothing else it may be possible to take advantage of this

thanks

neil

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »
Just a thought, but would it be possible to provide an option to provide a single path for both left and right stereoscopic input (and output) files instead of having to explicitly put both in every time?

I appreciate this might impose some constraints or conventions (both files in a subdirectory, for instance, or same filename with "left" and "right" or somesuch) and so may not work for everyone.

Bit of a lazy request but since most 3D files are often co-located and usually (almost) identically named for the sake of data management if nothing else it may be possible to take advantage of this

thanks

neil

I have thought about this, but it adds so much extra complexity to try and handle directories and filename filters, I don't see it changing in the current GUI setup. It is something that could appear in a future redesign.

neil richards

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
Easiest way might be a drag-and-drop interface in the GUI - open up finder and then drop the desired files into a couple of buckets in openDCP?

neil richards

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »
In "DCP Package" you go through the Title Generator and you enter all the info for the package including film type and rating. When you pop back out there's another couple of drop downs to enter the rating and film type again. Do you have to do this twice or are these alternatives? I was going to suggest removing the duplication but I may be missing something here.

julieceylan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
Maybe you've already scheduled it : the possibility of inputting Prores 4444 files. It would skip the TIF/DPX step and save again huge disk space...

neil richards

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
That would be cool - my 90sec stereo test generated about 70GB of intermediate TIFF files... eek

neil richards

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »
progress bars - I will buy one beer for each progress bar added in the next release

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
In "DCP Package" you go through the Title Generator and you enter all the info for the package including film type and rating. When you pop back out there's another couple of drop downs to enter the rating and film type again. Do you have to do this twice or are these alternatives? I was going to suggest removing the duplication but I may be missing something here.

They are two different things. One is purely for the title. The other is part of the DCP itself.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »