Please login or register. January 19, 2018, 10:26:10 AM

Author Topic: MXF Jpeg2000 Player  (Read 25350 times)

NicoInattendu

MXF Jpeg2000 Player
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
Hi,
I successfully tested and generated an MXF JPEG2000 file with OpenDcp.

Is there a way or tool to play the MXF video file ?
I'm on ubuntu/linux, I triew with vl or gstreamer but without sucess...

Cheers
Nico

Wolfgang Woehl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXF Jpeg2000 Player
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:02 AM »
ffplay will playback those files. I think on ubuntu you'll need libopenjpeg plus you'll get like 1fps. Use the usual keys to skip forward/backward.

Heath Jepson has a pretty neat setup to do this on windows boxes with better fps.

NicoInattendu

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
Thks for the answer.
Do you think is it possible to play Motion JPEG2000 file in a standard PC in Real time. At 24 fps for example.
I try to play a JPEG2000 ; and  display It on a Non DCI DLP projector through a HDMI link.

Cineman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
motion Jpeg2000 is a differet set of specs to DCI jpeg2000. I use easyDCP player demp for testing dcps before trying them on a server. stereoscopic player will also mplay jpeg2000 mxf files and do xyz to rgb colour conversion.

heathj

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:21:40 PM »
If you have a really fast 6 core CPU or a fast 8 core CPU you can play back a 2K DCP on windows in realtime at full quality using the Morgan jpeg2000 directshow codec, it costs about $30 but has a free 30 day trial. The trick is finding an mxf splitter, the only one that works for me is made by medialooks and they want you to pay for a license to redistribute the software bundled with your own for $2000. Stereoplayer utilizes this mxf splitter, but uses it's own jpeg2000 codec which still is not quite as developed as the Morgan codec and has about 1/2 to 1/4 the performance, you can use the morgan codec with stereoplayer, but you loose XYZ to RGB conversion (hint hint Peter if you're reading this I'd love directX pixel shaders in stereoplayer ;).

If there is a more affordable directshow mxf splitter I have a really good playback solution that has XYZ to RGB conversion using pixel shaders in media player classic.

Also, take a look at James Gardiner's DCPplayer http://www.digitall.net.au/

Hope this helps. I wrote a tutorial on setting up MPC-HC to play DCP's I need to dig it up from an old email.

Heath

neil richards

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:50:53 AM »
Does anyone know of an (inexpensive) MXF player for OS X I could use just to check my DCP files?

The only one I've found so far is MXF4Mac which is 500Eu/$600 plus tax plus other options... alternatively, does anyone have experience of MXF4Mac, is it worth spending the money?

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
MXF4Mac is more for reading MXF files generated by some video cameras. It will only read the MXF data and certain codecs. So, it really isn't of any use for digital cinema applications since it wouldn't know what to do with the jpeg2000 images. Right now, due to the processing needed to decode jpeg2000, realtime is unlikely without an extremely optimized decoder or a hardware solution.

neil richards

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
thanks, they have something called MXFplayer which I thought might work and is a free download but then I found it needed a 500 euro MXF4Mac in order to work, so my interest fizzled out at that point.

I did instead download the trial easyDCPplayer for Mac from Fraunhofer today (following a tip from elsewhere on this wonderful and very useful forum) and that worked fine, certainly showed me a) my TIFF files are messed up but b) openDCP works just fine.

Very encouraging... any chance of an openDCPplayer? <cough> :)

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
thanks, they have something called MXFplayer which I thought might work and is a free download but then I found it needed a 500 euro MXF4Mac in order to work, so my interest fizzled out at that point.

I did instead download the trial easyDCPplayer for Mac from Fraunhofer today (following a tip from elsewhere on this wonderful and very useful forum) and that worked fine, certainly showed me a) my TIFF files are messed up but b) openDCP works just fine.

Very encouraging... any chance of an openDCPplayer? <cough> :)

Not a free version... because it would require some sort of commercial jpeg2000 decoder... read: OpenDCP Professional. :-)

NicoInattendu

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:48 AM »
Hi,
If I understand right,  JPEG2000 needs specific/proprietary libs for decoding, an hard to have real-time full size display due to specific hardware.

For just a DCP preview, Is it possible to use the JPEG 2000 'scalabilty property' ?  Play the video in low-res mode ? Lesser CPU may be used ( even if I not understand how  decode a video in low or high changes CPU consumption ? lesser wavelet transform ? image tiing ?) .  This can work with DCI MXF wrapper ?

deppen_s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
new media player classic with k-lite codec 10.4 can play j2k mxf very well and play in full scale. i checked it and its work great

pdeatteirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »
Personally recommend a free MXF Player named Faasoft Video Converter. Drag and drop MXF files to the program and the program will play them immediately.

It also performs as an MXF Converter which can convert MXF to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, ASF, WebM, etc.

deppen_s

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Personally recommend a free MXF Player named Faasoft Video Converter. Drag and drop MXF files to the program and the program will play them immediately.

It also performs as an MXF Converter which can convert MXF to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, ASF, WebM, etc.

Faasoft Video Converter its doesn't support j2k mxf file. i checked it. its can't play  j2k file

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »