Please login or register. October 21, 2018, 05:11:20 PM

Author Topic: Getting the DCP onto an appropriate drive...  (Read 46976 times)

Martini77

Getting the DCP onto an appropriate drive...
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Hi there - I'm new to DCP and have just created my first using OPENDCP on a feature.

It was surprisingly easy (!) though I have yet to test it; that's happening at a movie theatre later this week. Or at least it's supposed to be happening....

I was aiming to get the DCP onto an EX2 drive but so far I've not had much luck.

I'm using a Mac OSX 10.7.4

I've rooted around the internet but can't find a solution to formatting an  external USB drive as EX2. (I have installed FUSE For OSX and fuse-ex2)

Does anyone have any solutions or leads? Preferably not involving code in any form other than the most simple kind - I'm a filmmaker and already on the edge of my computer tech know-how getting as far as the DCP.

Thanks for reading and in advance of any help you can offer.
Martin

walterlionguy

Re: Getting the DCP onto an appropriate drive...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:32 AM »
Hey Martin,

If you are having trouble getting the Ext2 File system put onto an external drive, I say the easiest and most fool proof way to do it is to use a Linux Live DVD.  Ubuntu Desktop is simple and is basically fool proof for doing just this.  You can get the latest ISO from their website (http://www.ubuntu.com/download).  Burn the image to a disc, and boot from it.  From there you can format the drive to Ext2 and copy your DCP from your local disk to the external drive while in the Ubuntu Live session.  When your done just reboot and pop out the disc, simple and no need to install anything.

Any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Regards,
Walter

Martini77

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
Hi Walter - thanks for your prompt reply - very helpful.

I will try this - but thinking ahead - will I be able to mount the mac osx drives whilst booted in Ubuntu?

thanks again
Martin

walterlionguy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »
Hi Martin,

You should be able to mount and read from an OSX HFS formatted drive within linux, not sure about write though.  I know it reads NTFS drives too.  Let us know how it turns out.

Walter

Martini77

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Thanks again, Walter.

I've booted in Ubuntu. I can see my MacOSX drives and I'm currently copying across the DCP. I feel good.

Do you happen to know, can I place multiple DCP folders on the same Ext2 drive?
(Of course I'd follow naming conventions to distinguish them).
My film is in English but the accents area very strong, so ideally I'd have a 2nd DCP on the drive that has English subtitles, giving international exhibitors the option.

BTW - I promise I won't keep adding on subsequent questions...
thanks again.
Martin

walterlionguy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
Don't worry, ask all the questions you need!  Many users here including myself have fun helping others out!

As for the multiple DCP folders on one Ext2 drive , I have tried this several times before on Doremi/Dolby servers using both Interop and SMPTE without any problems.  It worked fine on Doremi TMS too.  Just make sure the DCP folders are placed onto the drive and not into sub folders.

Martini77

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
I've looked at the DCP in a 250seater theatre today and it looked great - so that's a relief.
Thanks for your guidance, Walter.
Best wishes
Martin

happytomy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »
Thanks again, Walter.

I've booted in Ubuntu. I can see my MacOSX drives and I'm currently copying across the DCP. I feel good.

Do you happen to know, can I place multiple DCP folders on the same Ext2 drive?
(Of course I'd follow naming conventions to distinguish them).
My film is in English but the accents area very strong, so ideally I'd have a 2nd DCP on the drive that has English subtitles, giving international exhibitors the option.

BTW - I promise I won't keep adding on subsequent questions...
thanks again.
Martin
HI Martini,I use Macbook Pro also,Would you like to give all the information about using the ubuntu live cd to boot the mbp and how to copy the dcp folder to the ext2 removable disk,thx.^-^

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
NTFS is your best bet. The individual screen servers are almost always Linux, so ext2/3/4 are good there, however the LMS/TMS are very often Windows-based. They won't mount Linux or OSX file systems.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:38:31 AM by hdvprojection »

walterlionguy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
NTFS is your best bet. The individual screen servers are almost always Linux, so ext2/3/4 are good there, however the LMS/TMS are very often Windows-based. They won't mount Linux or OSX file systems.

No, just use a Linux live DVD or make a bootable live USB and stick to Linux ext2/3/etc (assuming you don't have Linux already).  This is the only way to absolutely guarantee 100% that all DCI servers will read your content.  I have never even seen a windows based LMS setup before, and even if the manufacturer decided to use windows they would be forced to support the Linux ext filesystem as its the main standard for this.  All the major distributors (such as Technicolor) use Linux ext formatted drives and I have never even seen an NTFS drive from them.  If they were using NTFS drives its going to eventually hit some users who find that it isn't working for them.  Of course if the whole entire industry demanded a change to NTFS then that would be a different story... but this is not the case.

There is nothing wrong with using NTFS if it works for you, but there is no point in posting information telling everyone that it's their best bet, when its obviously not.  Besides that its almost trivial to make a Linux live DVD/USB anyways...

hdvprojection

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
The LMS console that Christie puts together for GDC (and almost certainly for other brands of servers) is Windows-based, and won't accept DCPs on ext3 hard drives. You have to go to the individual houses' servers to ingest ext3. NTFS (or FAT32, I suppose) at the LMS.

I'm not making this up. I have no reason to lie or spread false information. Just sharing what I've learned and experienced.

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
I am also about to distribute some copies of DCPs from ext2 and ext3 drives and for this reason I am creating some test drives right now.

Because we're just starting creating and copying our own DCPs I didn't order CRUs yet and use simple ext2/3 formatted hard drives without cases. The injest process should still work if the TMS uses Linux, right?

Another technical detail I read about is the inode size. Many people write the compatibility with ext2/3 drives that use inode size 128 is higher than drives formatted with 256 (due to other programs involved on Win/Mac systems). So now I am using openSUSE for formatting drives into ext2/3 and the standard inode size got increased to 256 in 2008s openSUSE 11.0 release. Do you know if the incompatibility is still a current topic? Could it produce errors if I distribute DCPs on ext2/3 hard drives with inode size 256?
As far as I know there is also no way changing the inode size without formatting?

I'll let you know what happened after the test anyway.

drmrr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »
Do you know if the incompatibility is still a current topic? Could it produce errors if I distribute DCPs on ext2/3 hard drives with inode size 256?
QUBE XP-D (at least version 2.5.5.2) will not read HDD at all if inode size is larger than 128b unless you update its dodgy EXT3 filesystem driver manually (the server itself is Windows XP so this is not a problem if you know the admin password or can "hack" it using flash boot).

drmrr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
Because we're just starting creating and copying our own DCPs I didn't order CRUs yet and use simple ext2/3 formatted hard drives without cases. The injest process should still work if the TMS uses Linux, right?
Right. CRUs are way overrated, overpriced and overweight. You need them only if you are going to write tens of HDDs simultaneously in HDD duplicator. Otherwise USB3 portable disk is cheaper and more robust (and survives more stress in transporting; I've seen 3.5'' HDD broken in delivery even in protective cases but none of portable 2.5'' ones).

Could it produce errors if I distribute DCPs on ext2/3 hard drives with inode size 256?

Code: [Select]
mke2fs -j -I 128 /dev/sdb9will make you more confident (this command will reformat the drive, you can't change inode size other way).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:40:35 AM by drmrr »

loki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:10:28 AM »
drmrr, thank you for sharing your experience.

about the inode you wrote:

Code: [Select]
mke2fs -j -I 128 /dev/sdb9will make you more confident (this command will reformat the drive, you can't change inode size other way).

In openSUSEs Partitioner there is an advanced preference with which you are able to change the inode size, too. The only problem I encountered yesterday was that only "root" had permissions to write on the new 128-formatted drive. In the disc utility I can choose to become the new owner of the drive while formatting. Do you have an idea on how to change from "root" to "userxy" on openSUSE? I already tried "chown" but it said I had no permission to change permissions. If there is a way I can get that DCP on the drive anyhow, I wouldn't change the permissions.. Just want to be able to copy it to the drive and let the booth manager play it.

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:10:28 AM »