Please login or register. June 18, 2018, 03:52:58 AM

Author Topic: Former DCP Caddy Drives Not Indicating Proper Size  (Read 3545 times)

thebigsmoke

• View Profile
Former DCP Caddy Drives Not Indicating Proper Size
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »
Hi all, loooong time lurker, first time poster.

I recently acquired several hard drives that were pulls from CRU DX115 caddies. Almost all are Seagate 500gb drives (although there's a couple of WD 1TB drives) however they all only report available disk space of either 127GB or 95GB.

There is no unallocated space (that I can see anyway), nor does erasing and creating new partitions, creating new file systems, or even erasing and creating new partition tables seem to do anything - all my systems (Mac and Linux) see the drives as only having the lesser amount of memory.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case (I'm wondering if it's a symptom of a mass DCP duplicator or something)? More importantly does anyone have any idea how these drives could be reformatted to restore their full capacity?

Terrence Meiczinger

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Former DCP Caddy Drives Not Indicating Proper Size
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Wasn't 127gb the original limitation for Windows XP? Do you know what type of partition the 127gb claims to be?

Jiri Mlynarik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:42:13 AM »
Hi,
Seagate has a utility which allows you to set maximum disk capacity, it is called SeaTools. WD should also have an equivalent tool. These utilities work only if you connect the disk directly to SATA without any USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt bridge. I believe you should configure the SATA interface for compatibility mode, AHCI with NCQ usually won't work.

thebigsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:23:27 PM »
Thanks Terrence and Jiri, always nice to get some more idea's when you're ready to pull your hair out!

Terrence - the partitions were all EXT2, but I've tried setting them to other filesystems to see if that has any effect. Even if it was an XP limitation, I would assume deleting and recreating the partition table should correct that - which isn't the case here.

Jiri - thanks for letting me know about the "disk capacity" setting - and that looks promising. Unfortunately the Disk Capacity setting tools are only available in SeaTools DOS, which for some reason I can't get to recognize my mouse or keyboard.

I've (theoretically) got enough parts kicking around to put together a beater system to get SeaTools DOS up and going in the next couple of days, and see what I can find out. I'll report back with whatever I find out, in case anyone else is in the same boat.

thebigsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:33:38 AM »
SeaTools DOS indeed did the trick to restore all these drives to their full capacity! And all it took was building a completely new computer out of spare parts so I could run the stupid bootable OS. :-)

A couple of notes for people who find themselves in the same boat:

1. The bootable SeaTools DOS is the only version of SeaTools that has "Set Capacity" features
2. SeaTools DOS will not run on Mac Hardware - no matter how hard you curse at it
3. SeaTools DOS will not run on HDMI or DisplayPort graphics ports - just DVI or VGA
4. As Jiri guessed SeaTools DOS will not recognize drives in AHCI in BIOS - they must be set to IDE
5. Do not taunt SeaTools DOS
6. SeaTools DOS will reset capacities for Western Digital drives (at least the two I had)

I'm still not 100% sure what caused this issue to begin with but I strongly suspect it has to do with how a major international lab (say one that might come to mind when thinking about a biblical figure with a dreamy coat) duplicates kits. Even beyond my problematic DX115 pulls, I noticed a couple of kits that had been loaned to said lab had the same issue, while some others I had on hand to test from their "quality" competition had no such issues.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - it was driving me nuts that I had a *box* of otherwise functional drives, that were pretty much useless.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:38:45 AM by thebigsmoke »

Carsten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
Maybe this was used as a trick to reduce the time to image these discs for mass duplicating? With reduced capacity, a sector based imaging would be much faster.

- Carsten

dcinemaforum.com

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »